Anyone braving the cold today ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
37 chilly miles this morning. Starting temp hovering at -2
Rising to a heady zero when I got home at lunchtime. Wind was bloomin’ nippy too!!

Might get out to crack the ice tomorrow as well :wacko:

pawl

Legendary Member
Nope. It's the weekly "Dad's Club" ride, which starts at 6am and aims to be back by 9am, for those who can't make a typical weekend ride due to family/other commitments. We started it last year and there's been a small but regular group of riders.

I'm off to Sid's Cafe in Holmfirth instead now this afternoon.

Don’t upset ivy.she had enough with Compo

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Got layered up & went out for 32 miles, lovely blue skies & with a tail wind it felt very spring like, but then heading into the wind was a different story. At times was down to 11mph & it was a tad chilly, but the route I'd taken meant I didn't face the headwind full on for too long. Quite a pleasant ride & on the best bike for the 1st time this year as the roads were nice & dry :okay:

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
Went out at 8.30 am for 34 miles, quite a tough head wind in places, especially over the moss between Formby and Haskayne where there are no hedges. A lovely sunny morning, but very cool. Had 5 layers on my upper body, a snood round my neck, a head warmer and bandanna under my helmet and thick gloves, which all kept me plenty warm enough. However, my feet were like a couple of icebergs when I got home, despite wearing thermal socks over ordinary ones, plus overshoes over my cycling shoes.

Going to try to get out the next 2 days, maybe just for a couple of 15 milers on the MTB instead of the normal 30 or so on the road. Teaching school children Bikeability on Wednesday and Thursday, which are forecast to be the 2 nastiest days in this neck of the woods so will be out both those days for much of the day.....might need to see if my shoes are big enough to take double thermal socks :cold:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It was too cold up on the hills yesterday so I won't be going up there again today, but I might nip out on the more sheltered A646 valley road to Burnley and back on my singlespeed bike. Any wind in the valley would help me on the ride out which is more uphill than the ride back. OTOH ... it is nice and warm in the house! :laugh:
I walked to the shops and noticed that there was a lot of traffic on the valley roads AND that the wind was super-chilly again. I was trying to gee myself up to do a ride once I got home, but then a friend rang to say she was headed to Wetherspoons for coffee and biscuits. I went there instead and am now back home. That's me done for the day!

I think next week will be turbo trainer only, with short, brisk walks rather than rides when I want to be out in the fresh air.

Had a group ride over to Holme Moss the wrong way (with a head wind all the way, but the accent was pretty sheltered.) The descent was a little sketchy in places, but not too bad. Then returned via Skye road (again, the wrong way) with a tail wind all the way home. Glorious.

I got out early this morning and rode from Littleborough to Lumbutts and back - 14 miles. Then the masochist in me said 'why don't I make it a round 20?". So I carried on up to Hollingworth Lake and then up towards Blackstone Edge past the Moorcock Inn before returning home. Bitterly cold with the easterly wind and lots of ice alongside the kerbs but roads were well salted and gritted. I've had a good week on the bike with 172 miles completed. The weather forecast for the coming week means I'll be very lucky to get a tenth of that total done over the next 5 days.

Maenchi

StoneDog
20 miles; half road; half coast path; on the North Coast near Hells Mouth, beautifully sunny.....and well chilly, definitely needed extra layers, 3hours, that was after 3 hours out walking the dogs first....:cuppa:

Top Bottom