Anyone braving the cold today ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
None of you folks worried about ice in sub zero temperatures?

Or even a bit above zero when there has been a prolonged sub zero overnight?

I'm always wary of ice - well remember being angry with a ride leader who could have got a couple or more of us killed when, not much to my surprise, we slid off on black ice on a busy road.

No ice here either, just blue skies and bone dry roads.
Oh, and a wind straight from the Urals. :rolleyes:

Did 55k yesterday and 30k this morning, wrapped up well and it was lovely. Lots of other riders out there too.

I was too hot within about 10mins first thing. It was warmer than I was expecting and had a very effective wind proof layer on.

Then decided to go out on a horse in just a jumper and was far too cold.
I did the same thing (not the horse thing though ;-) ). I wore my unvented helmet, a buff, a gilet on top of my softshell and thicker socks and after about 15miles on the front I blew up a bit as I was overdressed. When we stopped the gilet and buff came off :laugh: https://www.strava.com/activities/1425293095

D

Deleted member 1258

I'm always wary of ice - well remember being angry with a ride leader who could have got a couple or more of us killed when, not much to my surprise, we slid off on black ice on a busy road.

It's been dry here for over a week, no rain at all, roads are dry, so no ice, the only thing to be wary of is any field run off that may have frozen, so no need to worry about ice. Where I live is a minor residential road on high ground that takes little traffic, if it's Icy it will ice up, so if it's clear in sub zero temperatures then the other roads are most likely to be clear as well.

It's been dry here for over a week, no rain at all, roads are dry, so no ice, the only thing to be wary of is any field run off that may have frozen, so no need to worry about ice. Where I live is a minor residential road on high ground that takes little traffic, if it's Icy it will ice up, so if it's clear in sub zero temperatures then the other roads are most likely to be clear as well.
There were a couple of bits here you had to watch but it was that thick slushy ice rather than thin black stuff which can be treacherous. On the whole though the roads were in most part bone dry here too :becool: My drive is not a good sign though as its mostly dry and clear 365 days a year even the main roads aren't :laugh:

PaulSB

Legendary Member

I agree I’m very wary of ice and won’t ride in those conditions. The roads in Lancashire are bone dry so ice is confined to any spots where there is surface run off from fields. As a club, and individuals, we tend to avoid the higher and more rural climbs in this weather.

There were a couple of bits here you had to watch but it was that thick slushy ice rather than thin black stuff which can be treacherous. On the whole though the roads were in most part bone dry here too :becool: My drive is not a good sign though as its mostly dry and clear 365 days a year even the main roads aren't :laugh:
Yes, it's also tricky judging the wisdom of a country ride if you are in london as the city out to inner suburbs is generally pretty well sheltered from weather extremes. The near fatal slip a few of us had was on black ice. Invisible. Thanks for all the ice responses. Be careful out there.

I agree I’m very wary of ice and won’t ride in those conditions. The roads in Lancashire are bone dry so ice is confined to any spots where there is surface run off from fields. As a club, and individuals, we tend to avoid the higher and more rural climbs in this weather.
Agree - round Pendle there often appears to be surface run off, trickles down lanes on a pretty substantial part of the year. London groups I used to ride with would often cancel any ride that went anywhere near the north downs if the temperatures dropped.

Praps my wariness of ice dates from my Vespa days :smile:

ozboz

Guru
Had a scoot around yesterday snd didn't find it as cold as Saturday ,
in anticipation of oncoming snow I'm going to get GF,s Rockhopper on the road , she commutes to work and stables. prob about 20 miles a day ,so be better on the MTB, my Landcruisers on Surly should be ok , ,

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yes, it's also tricky judging the wisdom of a country ride if you are in london as the city out to inner suburbs is generally pretty well sheltered from weather extremes. The near fatal slip a few of us had was on black ice. Invisible. Thanks for all the ice responses. Be careful out there.
The Kent roads and lanes down to Romney yesterday were bone dry thank gawd.
Where was this near fatal slip?

mythste

Veteran
Had a group ride over to Holme Moss the wrong way (with a head wind all the way, but the accent was pretty sheltered.) The descent was a little sketchy in places, but not too bad. Then returned via Skye road (again, the wrong way) with a tail wind all the way home. Glorious.

Were you riding with mark etc, coming back through Clayton Vale? If so I was the weary guy on a MTB that shared the ride through.

Maenchi

StoneDog
riding nearly as far south as you can get in the u.k. there was no ice, I set off for a road ride and bailed onto the coast path to avoid the wind, which was mostly dry, the muddy bits having dried out, the cold was enough to harden up the squishy bits, but not quite ice, roads were dry and dusty, bike stayed clean...:smile:

Top Bottom