Anyone braving the cold today ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
must admit that at that age, with presumably lots of time to pick and choose when you went out, I'd stay inside. Things heal a lot more slowly when you are older.

Buck

Guru
30 miles around the lanes of Cheshire today with two friends. Combined age of 200+, they say with age comes wisdom, they may be wrong !!

Don’t tell me they’re in their early 50s!!

Good on you getting out. Was another cold one today albeit that sun looked nice from behind my office window !

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
must admit that at that age, with presumably lots of time to pick and choose when you went out, I'd stay inside. Things heal a lot more slowly when you are older.
I am getting towards that age (Only 4.5 years short of 200/3!) and I am certainly even less keen on cold weather than I used to be. I practice intermittent fasting (the 5:2 thing - 2 days a week I have 24 hours without food and then just eat a bowl of muesli to last me through to the next morning) and I have discovered that it makes me at least twice as sensitive to cold as I used to be when eating normally and weighing 15+ kgs more!

As for the Ribble Valley/Forest of Bowland cycling club ... let me sign up as an honorary member! I ride out there several times a year for the reasons mentioned above. I'll be doing a forum ride from Whalley to Conder Green and back on 24th March, if any of you fancy that?

Ribble Valley from Nick o' Pendle (forgive the cement works at Chatburn, below!)
Ribble valley from Nick-o-Pendle.jpg

Llamas!
Ribble Valley Llamas and Pendle Hill.jpg

Trough of Bowland
Trough of Bowland valley in autumn sunshine.jpg

si_c

Guru
Was bitterly cold on the way home from work. One of the guys riding back had an off and banged himself up pretty good. Had to detour to the nearest station, but progress was slow, meaning no body heat being generated, and the temperature had dropped to -2.

Once I'd dropped him at the station progress was better, and I warmed up. Still got hit in the face by two separate gritter trucks though.

I am getting towards that age (Only 4.5 years short of 200/3!) and I am certainly even less keen on cold weather than I used to be. I practice intermittent fasting (the 5:2 thing - 2 days a week I have 24 hours without food and then just eat a bowl of muesli to last me through to the next morning) and I have discovered that it makes me at least twice as sensitive to cold as I used to be when eating normally and weighing 15+ kgs more!

As for the Ribble Valley/Forest of Bowland cycling club ... let me sign up as an honorary member! I ride out there several times a year for the reasons mentioned above. I'll be doing a forum ride from Whalley to Conder Green and back on 24th March, if any of you fancy that?

Ribble Valley from Nick o' Pendle (forgive the cement works at Chatburn, below!)
View attachment 397598

Llamas!
View attachment 397599

Trough of Bowland
View attachment 397600

Nice pics @ColinJ. I see me and my previous multi coloured cycling helmet are evident in the foreground.

It's something that seems to affect most people as they get into their sixties. I feel the cold way more acutely than I did 5 years ago. Back then my daughter in law (who lives in the warmer south east) used to always comment how 'amazing' it was that I thought nothing of popping down the local Co-op on a cold winter evening in a tee shirt. Fast forward just a few years and I'm clad like an arctic explorer! Strangely though, I still love winter, especially cold dry sunny days. Holidays abroad in really hot countries have never appealed to me.

TeeShot

Veteran
Don’t tell me they’re in their early 50s!!
Whilst my maths may not be brilliant, 3 of us in our early fifties are not going to add up to 200+ !!

61+66+78, and as if prove I have very little wisdom, I’m still working full time. The roads were as good as they’ve been all winter, bone dry and clear of debris. Back in my office tomorrow, which may not be a bad thing having just listened to the weather forecast.
Good on you getting out. Was another cold one today albeit that sun looked nice from behind my office window !

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
Just woke up to a blanket of snow about 4 inches thick, in Southport - usually we get away with the worst of the snow here. I was going to cycle down to my mate's house in Formby this morning for a coffee, but won't be doing that unless this miraculously clears by then, which isn't going to happen as the temperature is unlikely to get high enough. Oh well, I'll just have to watch Netflix and/or read a good book, with the occasional visit to CC and a few football forums all day while MLW is at work. :snowball:

Tin Pot

Guru
Packed for a 30-40min run at lunchtime. Hoping for a turbo session in the garage tonight.

...We’ll see.

Top Bottom