Anyone else found mini pumps to be unreliable?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Giyo pumps seem a pretty good but cheapish option and have been sold as Revolution and Spesh. I won't get another Lifeline one though.

In general, get one rated quite a bit higher than you intend, as it might get difficult to eke out the last few psi.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
If you buy a decent pump, it will work. I have two different on different bikes (I'm not delving into the bike store to peer at them now). Both have slim barrels and are slightly longer than average. I can get 90psi relatively easily with either.

One problem I have found with the pumps on the bikes is due to infrequent use. The home track pumps get used regularly, but I might not need the pump I carry for over a year. During that time the plunger can cease to seal inside the barrel. This requires partial dismantling and some lubrication (spit) into the barrel. Thus far that has always fixed the problem.

gbb

Legendary Member
I've had topeak one and a german make i cant remember right now, both reasonably good quality, both require IRO 200 pumps to get a tyre well inflated. For me personally, it's a faff, i can't be bothered to spend minmum of £15 for a pump that's just irritating...when I brought a zefal frame pump for about £4, had it years, still works fine and inflates a tyre 3 times quicker.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I got a cheap(ish) Bike Hut mini-pump when I bought the hybrid and to be fair it was pretty rubbish - lots and lots of effort to put not a great deal of air into the tyre when I did need it, although it did enough to get me home.
I bought a Topeak Pocket Rocket when I got the first road bike and it was a world better. So much better that when I bought the carbon road bike I got another one to fit on that.

However, when I bought the Giant I got a % of the bike value to spend in store on accessories, so I went bling-tastic and got two carbon bottle holders and a Lezyne Carbon Drive Lite pump - it's a lot more than I'd normally spend on a pump and it wouldn't have been purchased if not for the offer.
While I've yet to use it at the roadside (and long may that continue), it seems different class in a home test session - and no more worrying about bending valves. :okay:

Plus I always carry a couple of CO2 canisters now ;)

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I bought this last year. Used it first time this year in hopes I would get out on the bike soon (yeah right!). Very good pump. Doesn't take me long to pump the tyres up

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-micro-rocket-cb-pump/
I've got the Pocket Rocket and while it is not as good as the Lezyne I was impressed with it. For many years pocket pumps were little more than ornaments but in recent years it has become possible to buy some pretty decent ones. Back in the day however, when everyone had a full size frame pump most of those were pathetic too. You had to pay for a decent quality brand to get anything good.

Jimidh

Veteran
Another recommend for Lezyne mini pumps mine’ been used and abused and held up on everything from 29ers to 110 psi on my road bikes.

Still keep a co2 because i’m Lazy.

Leyzene mini pumps are the business, full pressure on a road tyre with little effort.
A leyzne pump is the only pump I ve had trouble with. The first time was my fault :blush: didn't tighten the removable calve core :thumbsdown: but just out of warranty on Velo Brum after two pumps the thing failed and now refuses to hold air. Having said that up till then it was good and after reading reviews I've replaced that pump that had plastic parts with another Lezyne pump which has metal parts. Touch wood I've not had to use that in anger yet as the only time I've p'tured I was in a rush and used CO2 :smile:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I bought a Topeak Pocket Rocket when I got the first road bike and it was a world better. So much better that when I bought the carbon road bike I got another one to fit on that.
I bought a pocket rocket in 2011 and it has worked flawlessly. Will easily reach 100-110psi and I feel could keep going to achieve more. I like it so much I bought another, just in case they stop making them and the first one ever does stop working.
Do not leave pumps on frames either, They will get weathered and not work when you need them.
Mine hasn't let me down and lives on the bottle cage mount regardless of weather.
I've got the Pocket Rocket and.........I was impressed with it.
There is a common theme emerging.....
Mine has lived on the bike from when i bought it about three years ago. If i took it of i would forget to put it back on when i rode.:laugh::laugh:
Where else would you put it? No good in a shirt pocket, sure to lose it or forget it. Besides, is going to hurt if you ever fall off and land on it!

Top Bottom