Anyone else found mini pumps to be unreliable?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I recently bought the Pro Bike Tool Mini Floor Bike Pump from Amazon. I have had quite a few mini pumps and they all seem like hard work. However this pump is a little bit bigger than a mini pump and is brilliant. It works very well, has a good T grip to get hold of and a foot like a track pump.

Stevie-do you have a link to the actual model?

I'm going to guess that neither of the pumps you have is one of these. Plenty of happy users - myself included.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-mini-morph-pump/

currently at a good price as well.

That is the exact same model of pump that I have returned to the shop.

The specific fault is the brass plunger under the lever that locks on to the valve has failed. This means there is nothing to hold the connection on to the valve.

The actual pumping action still functioned, but not while attached to a valve.

U

User6179

A mere 400 pumps and my Topeak micro rocket gets 80 psi into my tyre, its not powerful enough but it is really small and is quite robust and has worked for 7 years without letting me down.

If you buy a decent pump, it will work.

If you buy a decent anything it will work.

The problem is that there are many products out there being marketed as decent when they are simply nothing of the sort.

The poor customer is the one that has the inconvenience & financial loss. The manufacturer, the wholesaler and the retailer have all got their end sorted.

It is simply not good enough.
Both of my pumps were Topeak brand. One was their race rocket HPX and the other was their Mini morph. Both failed in under 12 months of very little use. What exactly does that say about their mini pumps?

Credit where it is due - the Topeak Joe blow max 2 floor pump is great and works faultlessly every time.

There are several heads up on here for the Leyzene band.

OK, so the Leyzene model that Northern Dave links to is.........Fifty quid. Now this item may be extemely good quality. How many years use roughly would you expect to get from cycle pump costing £50? 10 years? 5 years? I'd wager that this product does not come with a 5 year warranty. I would be surprised if it came with a 3 year warrenty. So how much confidence does the company actually have in their product?

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Both of my pumps were Topeak brand. One was their race rocket HPX and the other was their Mini morph. Both failed in under 12 months of very little use. What exactly does that say about the brand.
I have 2 x Topeak mini pumps, a Topeak Joe Blow track pump, a Topeak mini saddle pack and a Topeak Hexus II multi-tool. Guess what, they all work great while not costing the earth, what does that say about the brand?

Agree with you about the blow joe - excellent pump. I stand by my comments based on my own experience of the Topeak models that failed on me.

The Topeak models you mention indicates that maybe the company have improved? Let's hope so, so that us, the workforce, manufacturer and retailers all benefit.

If your pumps predate the models I have, I cannot offer any defence your honour. :notworthy:

Reactions: gbb

Milkfloat

An Peanut
After too much hassle with mini-pumps I switched to CO2 and never had a failure. I now also run tubeless and as yet have not even resorted to CO2 yet. I may get brave an only take 2 canisters with me on a ride rather than 3.

Bodhbh

Guru
I remember when you could buy a cheap plastic pump for under a fiver and it was fine. If it eventually packed up you just threw it away, or maybe put another washer in it. Lol.

Not sure those oldskool cheap plastic pumps are fine. I had a decent Toppeak frame pump nicked on tour and bought one for 4 euros as a stop gap. At the first use it packed up. Worst than not having one, at least you know where you stand then.

On the plus side, the bike shop gave us these really heavy duty velco frames straps with it as a freebie. It being Germany they were totally overengineered for securing the pump and far more use than the pump itself..

Randy Butternubs

Über Member
I've had a Lezyne Road Drive for a long time. It was fairly expensive but I'm really impressed with it: it is extremely simple; light; easily to disassemble; has a beefy piston that doesn't bend; reaches high pressures fairly easily and has rubber seals all over so that you can leave it exposed on the bike without rain getting in. Basically it works very well and gives the impression that it will do so forever.

Because of this I bought a cheaper Lezyne ... Lite Drive (I think it was) for my Dad who needed a pump. It was bad enough that I sent it back - graunchy feeling as you pumped and plastic end caps where the hose threaded in!

My first point is that I'm glad I spent about twice as much as I needed to on a mini pump. My second is that Lezyne make some lovely (expensive) stuff but they also make some tat.

I had a Topeak Mountain Morph years ago. After a couple of years rattling about in a pannier with little use it started to leak air at the swivel connection between the body and the hose. I thought maybe the o-ring just needed some grease so I tried undoing the screw that seemed to hold the thing together.

This turned out to be a huge mistake - the fastener was glued into flimsy plastic on the inside which tore up, ruining the pump and leaving me stranded with a flat tyre.

My Lezyne pump cost more but has been much better value. That said, I see the price of the Mountain Morph has dropped to £20 and the Road Drive has gone up to an eye-watering £40.

Last edited:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Lezyne for me too, had mine for years, on the bike frame, and it has never let me down. I think having the hose between the pump and the valve puts less strain on the inner tube around the valve. Pumps which clip directly to the valve can stress the rubber around the valve base.

Top Bottom