1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else found mini pumps to be unreliable?

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by night cycler, 5 Feb 2018.

1. Another Lezyne user here. Happy with it although to be honest I've only used it once at home (just after purchase) and once on the road in the two years I've owned it. Maybe I should give it a quick check.

night cycler likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    night cycler

night cycler Über Member

Interesting post. How much did the Leyzyne road drive cost, and how long ago?

3. Randy Butternubs

Randy Butternubs Senior Member

Through the magic of email history I can tell you that the Mountain Morph cost me £25 in 2010 and the Road Drive cost me £25 in 2014, so it wasn't actually any more expensive. Those will have been the cheapest prices I could easily find on the internet.

night cycler likes this.
  4. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

:ROFL: Once you tear a tube, you'll get a connector hose. Once you get a connector hose, you'll add a non return valve. ;)

5. mjr

Don't worry - I'm sure you'll get bathed in dry ice before long!

6. slowmotion

slowmotion Quite dreadful

I've never had much luck with fixed head pumps. They leak, and they break off the valve stem if you are clumsy....and I am when I'm on the roadside and it's raining and I want to get moving. lezyne road drive.jpg I've have one of these with a hose connection for several years. It works and it isn't that heavy.

7. Maenchi

Maenchi StoneDog

after carrying it around for nearly a year I actually had to use it recently, twice in a week, it worked fine ......topeak micro rocket al...to pump up 2.2 tyres which took a while but I got there.....seriously it saved a 10 mile walk home !

8. I like Skol

I like Skol Hold my beer and watch this..........

Isn't this what it is all about? A mini/micro pump might not be the most efficient or convenient way to re-inflate your tyres, but it isn't a common use item so we compromise between carting a bulky full size pump around that would do the inflation job much better and a mini pump that is easier to transport and, if used correctly, will get you back on the road (and my Topeak will do the 100psi I want for the road bike) and back in the ride on the odd occasion it is needed. The extra effort/time required for the actual inflation process is a small price to pay for the benefits IMO

Maenchi and mjr like this.
  9. gom

gom Regular

My Topeak Road Morph with Gauge has lasted me years, I’m guessing more than 10. Not used regularly of course, but taken on a 2-week camping trip most years & used every few days then. 90+ psi without too much effort.

Fingers crossed that it won’t explode in my face next time.

NorthernDave likes this.
  10. I'm sure there's a knack to using pumps without hoses. They're probably fine if you have the knack. I just don't have it.

slowmotion likes this.
  11. mjr

I can do it. It's just far more comfortable not to. You can change position more when using a hosed pump and it takes longer to inflate with a mini-pump, so that's useful.

Dogtrousers and Smokin Joe like this.
  12. The lite was my first intro to Lezyne and I was quite impressed with it until its sudden failure, which left me less than impressed. Ive replaced that with the Pressure Drive and it seems much better though I'm yet to use it in ernst as the p'tures I have had have been close enough to a lbs/home and access to a track pump :-)

13. Chris S

Chris S Veteran

My Poundland mini-pump was almost useless. The seal around the valve seemed to let nearly as much air out as went in.

NorthernDave likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    night cycler

night cycler Über Member

With respect, no. Not if you are referring to the reason the thread was started.

My OP was about reliability/unreliability of mini pumps.

When you get a puncture miles from home, you don't mind pumping for England. As long as you get enough air in to ride.

A pumps that fails totally, just when you need it is the issue.

Smokin Joe likes this.
  15. Crankarm

Crankarm Guru

What's a mini pump? I only have a track pump at home. My bikes are fitted with Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres so no need for a pump as they never get punctures.