Anyone Running Tubeless on H Plus Son?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Zero replies? Sheesh, I guess I’ve lost my touch. Time to start posting in the Gardeners’ Thread again. :whistle:

CXRAndy

Guru
I tend to use Schwalbe Pro Ones or G Ones in tubeless. Ive also used non tubeless tyres in the past on non tubeless ready rim. All worked fine.

Good clean rim and decent rim tape, valve and 70mil of sealant will work. I use a compressor for burst of air to pop bead into rim.

Used them tubeless with Hutchinson Secteurs,Schwalbe S-Ones(now G-One Speed) and IRC's.

Work ok once seated but they can be erratic to seat and are also reluctant to re-seat if you have to take them off; best for seating were the IRC's but even they were not happy to re-seat sometimes;price you pay for not being actually officially tubeless.

lane

Veteran
I am thinking of running tubeless on my H Plus Sons Hydra rims (which are tubeless ready) but that isn't quite what you asked on two counts.

OP
OP
Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Thanks all. Sorry I didn’t mean to come across needy. But I did. Unintentional. Apologies.

I am thinking of running tubeless on my H Plus Sons Hydra rims (which are tubeless ready) but that isn't quite what you asked on two counts.

Yes I am in the thinking mode too. Trouble is, my disposable is small and experimenting can be expensive. A thread I found on the adaptation of H Plus Sons seems to have worked. But as an Audax newbie I’m after 110% reliability.

https://audaxing.wordpress.com/2015/10/28/going-tubeless-not-made-easy/

tom73

Guru
Don’t know if it helps but spotted this on road cc

They have a list of tubeless set ups

https://road.cc/content/buyers-guid...st-complete-listing-anywhere-your-choices-new

Ajax Bay

Guru
A thread I found on the adaptation of H Plus Sons seems to have worked. But as an Audax newbie I’m after 110% reliability.
https://audaxing.wordpress.com/2015/10/28/going-tubeless-not-made-easy/
The author of that article is one of our (Wednesday pub-based) Easter Arrow team. I will look and see what tyres he's running tomorrow. Not sure he's as keen as he was on tubeless. The question you might wish to consider, in a road bike context) is: what's the MTBF of a tubeless tyre and what's the MTBF of an inner tube? And in the event of failure (ie not holding air sufficient to ride on) what's the 'solution' and how long will it take (you)? 100% = nirvana.

lane

Veteran
My thinking on tubeless is:

• I should be able to run faster less puncture resistant tyres because most punctures will seal themselves anyway
  • I should have fewer punctures to deal with overall. Mainly punctures I get are thorns which should seal themselves
  • If I do get a puncture I can use the techniques in the link I posted above from the cycle clinic. This is the biggest unknown because I do know I can always put a new tube in but the tubeless techniques are completely unknown and untested as far as I am concerned
  • Possibility of a deflated tyre coming off the rim and not being able to re mount it while on a ride
  • Cost and initial effort to get set up are higher
The biggest advantage to me is I can run faster tyres. At the moment I run 32mm 4 seasons but could run something like the new GP 5000 also at 32mm. Because I am quite a slow rider a larger proportion of my effort goes into overcoming rolling resistance and therefore the gains in speed or less effort are greater for me than a faster rider.

Would anyone like to critique my thinking?

Last edited:

lane

Veteran
Just to add to the above the difference between the 4seasons or GP5000 is 20 watts over two tyres which strikes me as quite a lot.

Top Bottom