Anyone watching Good Omens on Netflix?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Watched it, loved it. Tennant and Sheen were perfectly cast. Gaiman was very faithful to the book and where he added new material, it was material that he and Pratchett cut from the book for pacing and/or was saving for a possible sequel (according to Gaiman in an interview I saw him give).

Many times better than American Gods, but then Gaiman worked in Good Omens in it's entirety whereas American Gods used other writers.

In fact, I think I need to watch it again. You know, just to make sure I did like it... :giggle:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Watched it, loved it. Tennant and Sheen were perfectly cast. Gaiman was very faithful to the book and where he added new material, it was material that he and Pratchett cut from the book for pacing and/or was saving for a possible sequel (according to Gaiman in an interview I saw him give).

Many times better than American Gods, but then Gaiman worked in Good Omens in it's entirety whereas American Gods used other writers.

In fact, I think I need to watch it again. You know, just to make sure I did like it... :giggle:

I am with you on this. I'm on my second go around :smile:
It was brilliant and dog was just as I imagined him :wub:

I am on my 3rd copy of the book. I've read it to rags, it is my absolute favourite book.

OP
OP
C R

C R

Guru
I am with you on this. I'm on my second go around :smile:
It was brilliant and dog was just as I imagined him :wub:

I am on my 3rd copy of the book. I've read it to rags, it is my absolute favourite book.
That scene was the only redeeming feature of the episode, they could have made so much more of the mix up at birth.

Ace.

After this petition kerfuffle, my wife got curious about the show (she is unfortunately not a Pratchet fan). We watched the first episode last night, and it is as bad as I feared. If I wasn't a Pratchet fan, watching this would have put me off his books for sure.

Yeah, it's a shame. The sky films seemed similar, quite a bit of the richness/farce gets lost when the books are simplified and the scripts are produced and the characters seem to become too artificial. Susan was good in the hogfather and going postal was probably the best of the three, but even so ...

Adam is decent and some of the bits like Noah's ark are redeeming, but most of the characters are a bit too cartoonish to be really enjoyable.

Reactions: C R

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
I thought the first couple of episodes, which are basically scene setting, might put people unfamiliar with the authors off but they still contained some gems. There are some very obvious jokes and others that just fly past in the dialogue without any flagging up at all. You need some basic religious mythology and history knowledge, plus there are some good Shakespeare jokes that work on several levels. I did like the Richmal Crompton 'Just William-type' childrens gang having the anti-Christ in it in the William role.

The book, which I hadn't read in years until after watching this series, has a running gag about cassettes and cds in cars turning into Queens Greatest Hits if left long enough. This was a dated joke when everyone seemed to have a copy in their car. The second layer to the gag was that this happened to Crowley so any music he selected to play in his car, no matter what its label, was Queen. This was not because he liked Queen but the joke being that even a demon from hell couldn't stop this process happening. It is alleged that Queen would not permit this fairly weak joke if their music was to be used in the show, so Crowley was turned into a Queen fan rather than being tormented by the music.

Some other references date as well. When the book was written, Prince Charles was in the news for saying he talked to his plants to encourage them to grow. This prompted widespread ridicule so the concept of having Crowley as a Prince of Darkness threatening his plants to grow had more impact then than now.

Mrs R, who had not read the book and was not a fan of the authors, ended up watching the last four episodes in one evening. I found the last episode a bit cheesy and rushed and some of the CGI was not great but overall thought the series was pretty good. Tennant and Sheen played their roles perfectly.

Top Bottom