Anything that makes pedals further out from BB?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A colleague asked me today if I know of anything on the market that can be put into the crank before the pedal is screwed on, so that the pedal then ends up further out from the BB.

The reason he wants this is because when he sets his cleats to a comfortable position for him, his heel slightly rubs the rear of his bike.

I knew of nothing, and my googling failed, but said that if it existed, someone here would undoubtedly know!

winjim

Smash the cistern
Like this?

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/pedalspacers.asp

American site but you get the idea.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Yes there is something you can put on before the chain rings and crank are put on. It's some kind of ring. The bike shop did this for me to bring my chain rings out because they were rubbing my frame (think the guy that owned the bike before me changed it from a triple to a compact and didn't take the gap between the new larger chain rings and the stays into account). It only made a couple of millimetres difference but did the trick. Doing this moved the crank/pedal out as well.

cheys03

Veteran
If it's just one side he might consider a bottom bracket spacer, presuming the bottom bracket will accommodate it. (this is what buggi describes above).

OP
OP
CopperCyclist

CopperCyclist

Veteran
Thanks for the links all - I've shown him them, and he is grateful. :smile:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I may give these a try.(didn't know they existed until reading this thread.)
My feet are naturally pointing outwards. In their natural position my heels would clip the chainstays.
My only concern is the pedal will clip the ground at less of an angle with these so care will be needed pedalling through bends.

I think most of us corner with the inside of the bend pedal up and out side of the bend pedal down, that way you should never ground the pedal, I never have to think about it, it comes naturally and watching other people thats how most people do it. I have seen someone ground a pedal and spectacularly lift the whole rear wheel when they tried overtaking me on the outside of a bend pedalling hard. Just dont pedal on tight bends.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Quite right but once you get the feel of how far over you can go before grounding you can keep pedalling , no one stops pedalling on every bend.
What I was saying is that the extenders will reduce the angle you can lean so until you get used to the new angle care will be needed.

My wife has knee problems and her knees are flexed outwards.

These "Kneesavers" were brilliant

kneesavers1.jpg

It made no difference to her riding style whatsoever, and the pedal has never grounded

Top Bottom