Apalling Times article

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcd

For what it's worth I've followed the advice on CTC's newsnet email - which is to send an email to the editor James Harding ( james.harding@thetimes.co.uk )

I've just got an out of office reply - he's away until the 2nd of January. I wonder if he's going to have a full inbox by the time he gets back.

Saddle bum

Über Member
The Times is certainly restricting critical responses. There are some folk there with serious problems who agree with it.

Tony

And this response shows that the nutters from...elsewhere...have joined in:
"Brilliant article Matthew. Cyclists are the most selfish people in our society-taking and demanding more and more room on our roads yet not paying a penny in VED. Then we're expected to be grateful to them for "saving the planet" while they are swearing at pedestrians while riding on the footpath. Don't let me start on them jumping red traffic lights. There's an internet campaign running to discredit your writing and report you to the police for inciting murder, so stick to your guns.

Ravenbait, Scotland, UK"

One would imagine all car drivers are law abiding, and there is no need therefore for APNR, red light cameras. speed cameras, courts. Or inquests after avoidable fatal incidents they cause. Witless.

jonesy

Guru
Tony said:
And this response shows that the nutters from...elsewhere...have joined in:
"Brilliant article Matthew. Cyclists are the most selfish people in our society-taking and demanding more and more room on our roads yet not paying a penny in VED. Then we're expected to be grateful to them for "saving the planet" while they are swearing at pedestrians while riding on the footpath. Don't let me start on them jumping red traffic lights. There's an internet campaign running to discredit your writing and report you to the police for inciting murder, so stick to your guns.

Ravenbait, Scotland, UK"

Paris would do well to take note of the kind of supporting messages he is getting and then consider whether that constituency is really the target audience he aspires to in his writing. :smile:

jonesy

Guru
Cunobelin said:
Not "our" Ravenbait?

Pretty obviously not I would say- I thought that was the reason Tony thought the message had been posted by one of our 'friends' from another forum?

http://drunkcyclist.com/wordpress/2007/12/27/1200/

Wafflycat's riposte to the evil Parris has now reached the Holy Grail of cycling websites!

spindrift

The article gets hits for the website, Parris can then use them to negotiate a new contract. I guess, probably wrong. All journalists are toms, they tell stories that happened to other people and use their personal life as a gently comic tragedy, writing ruefully about their divorce and so on. That makes Parris worse, I think. He sat there and thought "What will get those emails flooding in", rather than "Is it wise to encourage assaults on minorities"?

alfablue

I emailed the editor:
Dear Mr Harding

I was appalled to read the article by Matthew Parris entitled “What’s smug and deserves to be decapitated?“ in The Times and Times Online 27th December 2007.

Both the headline and the opening sentence ( “A festive custom we could do worse than foster would be stringing piano wire across country lanes to decapitate cyclists”) are I believe an incitement to readers to commit murder. Some may think this is merely humorous, but such attacks on cyclists (wires across cycle paths) are not uncommon, and there are weekly reports of assaults by motorists on cyclists (such as motorists driving cyclists off the road, or passengers leaning out of car windows pushing cyclists off their bikes), which often result in severe injury. It is highly irresponsible to publish such an article, and it is likely to promote further attacks amongst the more mindless and vicious elements in society.

The remainder of the article is a blend of ludicrous vitriol and inaccurate and unsubstantiated allegations against cyclists.

I intend to make a complaint to both the Press Complaints Commission and the Police as I believe this “journalism” breaches the spirit (if not the letter) of the PCC code and the criminal law.

I would be interested in your response to my complaint, and I would urge you to publish a retraction and apology, and possibly a more balanced and less bigoted article to set the record straight.

and I reported this to the Met Police as a hate crime, here.

I will report it to the PCC at the end of next week (PCC says wait a week for the editor to respond).

Pete

Well, this is my effort. Very different from the above, true, but I suppose the variability of the feedback ought to register with whoever gets to read the E-mails (and I'm sure there must be someone).
Dear James Harding,
May I urge you to consider removing this article (27th December) from your website and publishing a retraction under your own name? I accept that not much can be done about the copy which has already been printed, but there are measures you could take to limit the damage, which would be most welcome.

Alas, even if some of the article may have been published in jest (though it is hard to see the jokey aspect of it), it is the sort of text that may incite idiotic readers to perform idiotic actions. And although incidents of wiring across roads and paths are happily uncommon, they do occur, and I know cyclists who have had first-hand experience of such behaviour and have been lucky to escape serious injury. I myself - as a regular cyclist - have twice in my life suffered being deliberately assaulted by a car passenger: not quite the same as a 'wiring' assault, granted, but equally disconcerting and not something into which we want to incite people.

Furthermore, I would wish to state that all the members of my family, committed cyclists that we are, endeavour to ride in accordance with the Highway Code and with proper consideration for other road users. None of us would ever wilfully leave litter: indeed the sight of litter left by others, when we come across it, is particularly galling to us with our love and respect for the British countryside. And even though I cannot obviously speak for all cycle users, I know that many other cyclists whom I know are of a similar mind to myself.

I trust that you will give this matter your urgent attention and take into consideration the high standing of your newspaper in the public eye.

Yours sincerely,

Top Bottom