Apalling Times article

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcd

I went for something a bit more brief. I agree with Pete - hopefully variety will be as effective as volume.

Is there a competition between two of your columnists as to who can wind up the most cyclists? The latest offering from Mr Paris is more likely to result in cyclists winding up in hospital. It will be interesting to see how you report incidences such as this in the future: www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article686309.ece

In the spirit of balanced reporting are you going to publish an article inciting hatred against errant motorists with advice on how to drop bricks onto their windscreens while they are driving? An apology and a policy banning articles that incite hatred and violence would be better.

And safer.

Can you do better? Go on then: james.harding@thetimes.co.uk

freakhatz

It's a shameful article and FWIW I've used the contact addresses to give them my opinion.

(Including first-hand information about what it is like to suffer a broken neck, altho' not due to Mr Paris's advice).

Pete

The last thing we want to do is offer up cut-and-paste jobs. They'll spot that sort of thing right away, after all, remember those guys are journalists, they know all about that sort of thing. So please, everybody, don't plagiarize what's already been posted on this or other forums, mine or others. Gather ideas, yes, but use your own words!

Oh, and thanks Alfa. Hope your fine effort, and MCDs, and all the others, also play a part in getting the message across. But who can tell?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
With credit to Simon L3 from over the way, I thought this should be shared from quickrelease.tv...

Here’s the Parris piece but with the word ‘cyclist’ satirically replaced with ‘homosexual’, and other choice edits.

A festive custom we could do worse than foster would be stringing piano wire at the entrances to gay bars to decapitate homosexuals.

It’s not just the good fashion sense, though Heaven knows this atrocity alone should be a capital offence; nor the fruity hairstyles, though these ludicrous items of headgear are designed to protect the only part of a gay man that is not usefully employed....

For more, scroll down, Simon L & 1/2 has the link...(it'll all make sense...read on).

Pete

I just noticed that his Wikipedia entry has a paragraph referring to the article. Don't know who added it (I don't really understand the inner workings of Wiki) but will be interesting to see if it remains.

mcd

Pete said:
I just noticed that his Wikipedia entry has a paragraph referring to the article.

Nice one! :wacko:

Saddle bum

Über Member
Pete said:
I just noticed that his Wikipedia entry has a paragraph referring to the article. Don't know who added it (I don't really understand the inner workings of Wiki) but will be interesting to see if it remains.

That is very new, it wasn't there late Sunday PM.

Tony said:
And this response shows that the nutters from...elsewhere...have joined in:
"Brilliant article Matthew. Cyclists are the most selfish people in our society-taking and demanding more and more room on our roads yet not paying a penny in VED. Then we're expected to be grateful to them for "saving the planet" while they are swearing at pedestrians while riding on the footpath. Don't let me start on them jumping red traffic lights. There's an internet campaign running to discredit your writing and report you to the police for inciting murder, so stick to your guns.

Ravenbait, Scotland, UK"

:wacko: Good old Ravenbait - it's nice to know that she's still on form. I'm considering something along similar lines:

Dear Editor,

Please thank Matthew for his article. I've always hated cyclists, but never had the guts to do anything about it. I've now started stringing wire across the routes they use and although I haven't actually managed to decapitate one yet, I've killed two and managed to blind a third one.

Dear Editor said:
magic:biggrin:

following on from patrick, and pinching part of his post,i've just sent this in

dear sir
could mr parris please advise what gauge piano wire to use?
i've stuggled to buy some due to this being the season of goodwill to all men etc. and most shops are closed, i feel the wire i have got may be the wrong gauge as so far i haven't managed to decapitate any cyclists.
i've killed two and blinded a third but decapitation just isn't happening.it's costing me a fortune in video tape as i want to send something in to you've been framed.
thanks

Top Bottom