Apalling Times article

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alfablue

Hi Pete (and others), well I retract, Janine (from JAmes Harding's office) just emailed me to say that she received a duplicate email which she deleted, I am assured that he will see my emails. That said, the feedback identified by Wafflycat is far from reassuring - guess we should all be splitting our sides over Parris's enhanced sense of humour, rather than thinking our throats will be split!!!

Sorry, it aint funny!

Pete

Well, will be interesting to see if we all get cut'n'paste copies of same. I can state quite categorically that none of what I wrote was cut'n'paste - it was all my very own! ;)

Still no reply yet for me: I assume that this E-mail wasn't it, seeing as I 'deleted without reading'...
oh my godness.. yourPenis is BELOW average size, add 2-3 inches with this ycoyjc... Wed 02 Jan 2008

domtyler

Über Member
Pete said:
Well, will be interesting to see if we all get cut'n'paste copies of same. I can state quite categorically that none of what I wrote was cut'n'paste - it was all my very own! ;)

Still no reply yet for me: I assume that this E-mail wasn't it, seeing as I 'deleted without reading'...

Quote:
oh my godness.. yourPenis is BELOW average size, add 2-3 inches with this ycoyjc... Wed 02 Jan 2008

Ahem, I have emailed Shaun asking him to correct the Senior Member the appears above your avatar to Small Member. ;););)

alfablue

Pete said:

;)

Janine told me that the editor would be replying this afternoon - I wonder how many emails he has; I doubt if we will get personalised responses if there are hundreds of them.

Pete

domtyler said:
Ahem, I have emailed Shaun asking him to correct the Senior Member the appears above your avatar to Small Member. ;););)
;):biggrin::biggrin:

The delightful Janine hasn't finished with me yet! She has now (under yet another pseudonym) offered me an 'exclusive replica rolex' (presumably to strap around my undersized - ahem - 'member') ...

well this is the reply i got.
i have to say i'm not very impressed.i have a sense of humour but still can't see anything funny about his remarks.

Dear Mr ?????,

Thank you for taking the time to write to me about Matthew Parris's article (My Week, December 7).

As someone who regularly rides to work and who likes to go on cycling holidays, I shared your alarm, initially fearing that Matthew had it in for me too. But I think it was immediately clear that he was exaggerating for effect - and for a good cause: cyclists, as much as anyone else, must share his determination to protect the natural world from litter and pollution.

I have received many similar e-mails and take note of the heartfelt indignation. You may also have seen the piece that ran in the paper on Monday in defence of the cyclist. While I admire the passion of the cycling lobby and count myself one of their number, I think we do ourselves no favours when we lose our sense of humour and I hope that you, like me, will continue to enjoy Matthew Parris’s excellent writing. That said, two wheels good etc.

Yours,

James Harding

alfablue said:
;)

Janine told me that the editor would be replying this afternoon - I wonder how many emails he has; I doubt if we will get personalised responses if there are hundreds of them.

I think we are all going to get £5 off on a new type of penis pump. ;)

Lurker

Here's my missive, just sent to James Harding at the Times , james.harding@thetimes.co.uk

Subject: Matthew Parris hate-piece, The Times, 27 December 2007

Dear Mr Harding,

I'm writing to express my incredulity at the ignorant and disturbing rant produced in 'the Times' by Matthew Parris on 27 December 'What's smug and deserves to be decapitated?' (link below).

If this is Mr Parris' idea of a joke I am afraid he is sadly deluded. Regrettably, assaults on cyclists using the method he advocates in his article are not unknown in this country, and have indeed been reported in your own newspaper. Parris' incitement - which is what his article amounts to - contributes to a climate of opinion, led by the media, which regards people who choose to cycle as social inferiors, and hence fair game for both verbal and physical attack.

At a time when all of us as individuals and organisations (including newspapers such as 'the Times') need to encourage people to cycle, Mr Parris' article is likely to have the opposite effect. It's all the more puzzling given my understanding that your workplace is actively encouraging its own employees to cycle to work. Clearly, some of your colleagues have understood that cycling is good for individuals as well as the wider community.

I don't know if the concept of ethical journalism has any currency with the editorial staff at 'the Times'. Given the newspaper's distinguished history and the fact that it remains a paper of record, I very much hope so. I would have thought that, at the very least, an apology and retraction from Parris is called for.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours with disappointment etc.

Pete

Update: got my reply from Mr. Harding, and GUESS WHAT! xx(:biggrin::biggrin:
Dear Mr *********,

Thank you for taking the time to write to me about Matthew Parris's article (My Week, December 7).

As someone who regularly rides to work and who likes to go on cycling holidays, I shared your alarm, initially fearing that Matthew had it in for me too. But I think it was immediately clear that he was exaggerating for effect - and for a good cause: cyclists, as much as anyone else, must share his determination to protect the natural world from litter and pollution.

I have received many similar e-mails and take note of the heartfelt indignation. You may also have seen the piece that ran in the paper on Monday in defence of the cyclist. While I admire the passion of the cycling lobby and count myself one of their number, I think we do ourselves no favours when we lose our sense of humour and I hope that you, like me, will continue to enjoy Matthew Parris’s excellent writing. That said, two wheels good etc.

Yours,
James Harding
Ring any bells with anyone?

Pete

freakhatz said:
No, I'm beneath his radar, or should I say 'piano wire'.
If you sent an E-mail to him, you will get that exact reply, word-for-word, you mark my words!

Interesting to find out just how many E-mails he received, and 'replied' to in this way. Seems like that gorgeous Janine would know, wouldn't she, so there we have a lead, do we not? Who* volunteers to try and fix up a date with her?

*I'm too old, and the missus wouldn't be happy! ;)

JamesHarding

Hi, it's me, your patronising cycling lobby chum.

Any volunteers to help brighten up my day by setting up that humorous piano-wire gag for me to cycle into?

I'd wish that Simon has more luck with his letter to the Old Bill, except as I obviously don't care, I wont.

Must go, Matthew - sorry "Mr Parris" - is calling me.

Top Bottom