Apparently Too Many Parking Fines.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
The only people with any kind of motivation for feeling the rules are draconian are those who flout them and get caught. Next we'll be listening to shoplifters because they think cctv cameras are draconian.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm a motorist, I don't speed (that'd really be something in my old truck) and don't flout parking regs. I couldn't care less if offenders had their vehicles crushed in front of them - I'm not one of the offenders, so it's of zero consequence me.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Are you seriously suggesting that there is a revolt over parking and speed cameras? Vocal whinging by a minority with an entitlement complex is not a revolt...

No I am not. Government policy on enforcement of laws takes into account society's perception as to whether the enforcement is reasonable or not. Don't forget that "motorists who cycle and who are sufficiently keen about cycling to bother posting on CC" may not be an entirely representative cross section of society.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
... motorists believe that using mobile parking enforcement vehicles are not reasonable and fair. .

I'm a motorist. I believe that parking enforcement is nowhere near strong enough, and I'd rather speed cameras were hidden. I know that if I break the relevant laws I'll get a ticket so I stay within them. Seems fair to me.

GC

Drago

Legendary Member
Don't forget that "motorists who cycle and who are sufficiently keen about cycling to bother posting on CC" may not be an entirely representative cross section of society.

This is true, they may not be.

But then they may be.

You lack evidence to support a swing either way.

OP
OP
BSRU

BSRU

A Human Being
I got a parking ticket once, on bank holiday Monday parked in a two hour bay but assumed restrictions did not apply on bank holidays, they did, I paid up without argument or fuss.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
This is true, they may not be.

But then they may be.

You lack evidence to support a swing either way.
I think you only need to look at threads on CC that examine the relationship between car drivers and cyclists (such as the one about riding two abreast) to see that CC posters' opinions to not align with wider society's. Now CC poster's may be right, or they may not be right. But it is a common behavioural error to be part of a minority group that holds similar opinions and assume that these are correct and everyone else's are wrong.

Perhaps this stems from reports of people being fined for turning round in a car park, or going in objecting to the charges and leaving without ever taking a space? That sort of thing promotes distrust.

There's CCTV in Penistone but it doesn't stop dimwits parking on the double-yellows across from the Park Avenue junction to save their precious legs to go into Greggs. Totally blocks the main street and junction but what the hell it saves legally parking the Navarra.

Drago

Legendary Member
A Navara? It's not parked, probably broken down.

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
I wish I knew what some b*****d previous owner did with the Magnet's sense of entitlement. Then again, it is a Ford Fusion, so it probably went in their hat or false teeth case...

Are you seriously suggesting that there is a revolt over parking and speed cameras? Vocal whinging by a minority with an entitlement complex is not a revolt...
More likely the people with the powers to take these away are victims themselves.

Top Bottom