Appropriate registration numbers on cars...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Legendary Member
A friend of mine has a number plate starting RO though? :scratch: (apparently means it originally came from Reading)
:blush:
I have no clue in that case.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Both are used in reg numbers

Mmh I found this on auto express (copy pasted):

For example the letters 'I', 'O', 'I' and 'Z' are never seen on number plates because they look too similar to other letters or numbers.27 Jul 2016

Having said that, I have seen letter Z on plates so idk shrugs?

Alex321

Veteran
This is more definitive information from the DVLA
https://assets.publishing.service.g...attachment_data/file/359317/INF104_160914.pdf

O is used in the first two letters (location ID - called "memory tag") - if it is the first, then it is Oxford, it can be the 2nd letter for a variety of places. Q, I, Z are not used in those, although there are existing ones with Q.

The final three characters are random letters, and it doesn't specify any limitations. But if you go to the personalized plates site (linked in the document) and search, it allows Z & O in those, but not Q or I.

O was certainly in use under the old system. We had 671KOH, 20MOF, FOL83L, COX 645C AND GOL912L

At the time, virtually all Birmingham registrations had O in the middle of the three letter set, I think with the exception of OO which was Oxford

presta

Guru
I saw this one in Chelmsford once. It was, and apparently still is, a red E-Type convertible, and at the time I saw it it was being driven by a black guy.

1678457751601.png

Jody

Stubborn git
Mmh I found this on auto express (copy pasted):

For example the letters 'I', 'O', 'I' and 'Z' are never seen on number plates because they look too similar to other letters or numbers.27 Jul 2016

Having said that, I have seen letter Z on plates so idk shrugs?

O and Z are acceptable characters.

I'm not 100% but I think you're right on the letter i

Mike_P

Guru

Gunk

Guru
O and Z are acceptable characters.

I'm not 100% but I think you're right on the letter i

Pre 2001 Z was only used on Northern Irish plates

With the current format the letter Z only will only feature in the last three letters, it’s not used in the first two letter regional identifier. For example

NH68 PPZ

Reactions: DRM

DRM

Guru
J, I and Z are commonly used on Northern Irish plates. Not sure about O
J isn’t a Northern Ireland specific letter, but Z and I are, You see loads of GAZ & DAZ reg no’s about, which are for Belfast, I remember my dad having a lorry that came from Northern Ireland that was YOI, it also turned up with a bullet hole in the windscreen!
O was certainly in use under the old system. We had 671KOH, 20MOF, FOL83L, COX 645C AND GOL912L

At the time, virtually all Birmingham registrations had O in the middle of the three letter set, I think with the exception of OO which was Oxford
We had vans at a previous work place from Birmingham, one of them having OOF ***X

Top Bottom