Are any CCrs really going to suffer in this heat ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Whilst in Australia we regularly worked in the fields in 40 degree heat. We'd start at 7 and work until 2. You did get used to it, we just wore a hat and took a gallon of water for the day. The media frenzy is hotter than the weather. I agree with the twitter(er) up-thread. What have we become as a nation if we need to be told to stay in the shade and drink water?

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
my outside thermometer is mounted on a screw coming off one of the cross beams of the shady side of the fence but it may have been in the sun a bit earlier (will definitely get it for a while later today, when the sun swings round) - just had a look and it's 43. I did my ride early doors but tempting to go out for a while to top up the tan and as an extreme weight loss ride... air temp is proper hot now.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Yes there are, and it doesn’t have to be 40C to do that. I went out in summer 2020 when it was “only” 26C for an 80km ride. I didn’t finish the ride because I ended up with heat exhaustion, lying down at side of road in sun, unable to get up what is normally an easy hill for me. Some concerned motorists took me to A&E, after the first one had stopped and said are you okay, and I said not really. They’d rung for an ambulance, but with a two hour wait, drove me to A&E.

The temperature had deceived me, but prolonged periods in direct sunlight whilst exercising at a moderate intensity without breaks still did me. It was humid that day.

I’m fair haired (well more grey these days) and fair skinned and we are not built for hot.

Ripple

Veteran
Finally summer. :becool:

Screenshot_20220718-152344_One UI Home.jpg

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
This is how I deal with riding in the heat

71D04E31-5463-4765-B57E-C5ABE3444F48.jpeg

Whilst in Australia we regularly worked in the fields in 40 degree heat. We'd start at 7 and work until 2. You did get used to it, we just wore a hat and took a gallon of water for the day. The media frenzy is hotter than the weather. I agree with the twitter(er) up-thread. What have we become as a nation if we need to be told to stay in the shade and drink water?

Tbf that is much closer to the norm out there and people learn how to adapt.

It is extreme for this country and people are not used to it, so do not always take the right precautions. Some people are not that sensible and think they can act as normal, or even take too much advantage of the sunshine and heat because they know it will not last.

The vast majority do not need to be told about shade/water but it is a safety warning not an instruction.

presta

Guru
The outside temperature in the shade of my front porch is currently 37.7C (99.86F). The met office forecast is for 37, and 35 with the benefit of 6mph windchill. The temperature the other side of the front door in my hall, with all the windows, doors and curtains closed since 7am this morning, is 26.8C (80.24F).

That's an 10.9C benefit from closing up, instead of a 2C benefit from the wind.

Having kicked the habit of throwing the doors & windows wide open, I'm sat here thinking "Heat? What heat?" instead of feeling somewhat distressed as I used to. I spend all winter cooped up indoors, it felt quite hard to stop opening windows in summer too.

Mike_P

Guru
Figured this morning their was something wrong with the outdoor sensor on the north side of a shed and discovered the easterly sun was far enough north to warm the sensor up so, having three, the one out of the timber shed located on a west facing fence to give a dual outdoor reading with at least one being in the shade, currently 37.2 to the west, 35.5 to the north and inside the metal bike shed 40.2. South facing kitchen with blinds down all day currently 25.2.

classic33

Leg End Member
This only works if the humidity is low enough that sweat can evaporate.
If it's running down your forehead or you're not wearing clothes that allow evaporation, it'll do more harm than good.
The initial effect of something cold is cooling, but then your body sweats, more than it would have done, bringing it up to body temperature.
Eating or drinking something cold sounds worse.

Top Bottom