Are Cars Getting Smaller?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I went from Heathrow to Oban in a 1967 Mini. I'm surprised I was ever able to walk again after that .
Couple of friends did half that journey from Liverpool to Glencoe in minis they'd restored. When they arrived, I said "How was the Journey?". "WHAT?". "I said, HOW WAS THE JOURNEY?". "WHAT, I CAN'T HEAR ANYTHING OR FEEL ME BUM". "You'll need a pint then". "Oh yes please". "You heard that then!"

I think they sold them not long after.

When we moved to France in 2010, we brought with us a LHD Ford Focus Estate, 2006 version. It's been a good car for us and suits me well, even though I have to put the seat right back to drive (I'm 6'2" or 189cm :rolleyes:)

Now we have made the decision to return to the UK, I thought we should perhaps get the updated version of the same car. (The Pino will actually fit inside the car without splitting). However, after a trip to the local dealer, I find I can't drive the new version as I don't fit. Despite putting the seat down and back, the steering wheel is about 1cm away from my legs, whereas in the old car it's about 5cm. I know there is a version where you can adjust the steering wheel as well, but I suspect this is not available or all models (unless someone knows different)

The roof line is also lower as we found out when parked next to a new one in the supermarket car park yesterday.

After the Ford experience we decided to try Toyota (I have had Avensiss / Avensi? in the past). The Avensis seems to be the same size, and the estate version is huge, but I can't get in an Auris. The Verso is fine, but it's a van with windows.

Anyone had similar experiences?
This 4 ft tall woman thinks so!
smallcars03.jpg

From an interview with a car designer I read the answer is 'cupholders'. They were to him a complete interior design nightmare, they have to be capable of holding a variety of sized cups without spilling and not block access to heater controls/radio/satnav whilst the cup is in them.
He was American, but, as above, cars here have grown too.His team thought they had cracked it with one design accommodating the biggest fast food place cup they knew of - 32oz. Then one of the drivers of a test car came back complaining his 40oz. cup wouldn't fit...

Not so you'd notice........
View attachment 342741

This was parking up at daughters School this afternoon, amongst the usual plethora of X5s/(fugly) X6s/Q7s/Range Rovers (my row had 2 new Sports on it)
Heck!, there's sometimes a Bentley (the saloon that has the same front as the Continental GT), & even now a B*W i8

And some people may think a Corsa is a small car
17352217_10211014491910523_191425977618715937_n.jpg

[QUOTE 4724428, member: 9609"]1980 Range Rover - wheelbase = 2540
New Mini - whhelbase 2595
so an all new Mini has a bigger whhel base than the original Range Rover[/QUOTE]
That was the example I was going to use

The L405 is a bloater
I know which I'd have, in a heartbeat, & it's not painted silver

l405-its-in-the-blood.jpg

Then again, a F650, makes the (3rd generation) 'Sport' look tiny:wacko:

31661d34-0293-451b-bb5b-4246b2ffa016.jpg

screenman

Legendary Member
I spend a lot of time with my tool inside panels:blush: there is a lot going on in there that you cannot see. Where as a few years back it was empty.

Reactions: mjr

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The new Mini, the standard one, is probably worse to get in and out of than the old one. Flaming horrible. Saw a new Clubman recently and it was like someone added about half a car in the middle - long and horrible.

My sister binned her new Mini for a Focus..eh... the Mini was unreliable and cramped. The Focus a much better car.. She stuck with the mini for a few years but it was crap - frequent BMW garage visits.

fossyant

Is an F650 legal in the UK... Lottery win, then get one with 'Cyclists are Awesome" stickers, then cruise to work in it ! With bike racks and pumps in the back !

MarkF

Guru
I have Jeep Cherokee 4L straight six but it is tiny compared to most crappy modern SUV's, or even the Mondeo estate. All latter day design, glamour & flair has gone to be replaced by body creases in bits of £20 pieces of plastic (where the "style is") bolted fore and aft. What a load of rubbish, I want a stylish car and don't care if it is not-so-safe as a "thing".

Citro%25C3%25ABn_SM_2.7_Cars_18e24d96-c8a6-494c-bf2e-8efca1dc977b.jpg

fossyant

We all moan about monster trucks etc, but the two cars that have broken me were Fiat and Toyota's smallest cars.... I've not been hit by a big car when commuting. A little Aygo broke my Spine. It's not monster vehicles that are an issue to cyclists. My MTB made a mess of the Fiat but I busted my shoulder.

The Toyota just scratched my carbon forks of a light weight fixed road bike, but broke my spine in a low speed impact ?

What's actually more dangerous ? Drivers !

Top Bottom