Are Cars Getting Smaller?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Myth dashed.

Is an F650 legal in the UK... Lottery win, then get one with 'Cyclists are Awesome" stickers, then cruise to work in it ! With bike racks and pumps in the back !

It's substantially bigger than a Dodge Ram, which is a regular sight on British roads

The F650, is basically a 'medium duty' (as the Yanks call them) truck, probably a 5-tonner to us, but was available as a 'double-cab pick-up

thJKEMYE34.jpg

The 'Diesel Brothers' (on Discovery channel every so often) made a F650 even bigger & longer.............

I too, remember the 2.8 being announced
Not too keen on the Tickford, although their earlier Series 1 was gorgeous, & very rare, even when new back in 1949
I've only ever seen one on the road (a couple of restored examples at shows though)
dds29dfgh123dgv.jpg dds29dfgh1234.jpg

Much prefer the Brooklands, to the Tickford

A trio I've seen, & from my photo-files

Motoring. Ford. Capri. DMO 512K.JPG Motoring. Ford. Capri. E28 PWD.JPG Motoring. Ford. Capri. E666 UBG. 1.JPG

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Then again, a F650, makes the (3rd generation) 'Sport' look tiny:wacko:

View attachment 342818
Gordon Bennett - I've lived in flats smaller than that.

tyred

Legendary Member
Still the proud owner of lightweight tin box.
30450972745_5544255a41_o.jpg Peugeot 205 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/theoldbikeshome/, on Flickr

I've always found it really comfortable if a bit noisy (especially at motorway speeds, gearing a bit low) and I've coaxed over 60 MPG from it's simple 1124cc, 8V, SPFI engine when touring. 140,000 of the 200,000 miles have been covered by me and it's proven remarkable reliable but there isn't much to go wrong with it and it's a doddle to fix for the DIY mechanic. I like simple.

The thing I note when I compare it to modern day counterparts is the feeling of space inside. Large glass area and slim pillars, no centre console and sculptured dash and door paddings mean it feels spacious, light and airy inside whereas modern cars feel dark and claustrophobic to me. The downside is that the radio and heater controls are quite a stretch rather than being close to you.

Light weight, narrow tyres and no power assistance mean really positive steering that feels alive rather than disconnected like a modern car. I can also sit in driver seat and see every corner. I feel car design has gone in the wrong direction. Combine a lightweight body with a modern super efficient engine instead of wasting all that efficiency by lugging around a small tank.

Safety - well try not to crash and remember that a light car will stop or change direction faster than a heavy one.

snorri

Legendary Member
Because people want progress. If there was an appetite for basic tin cans with poor performance and no luxury they would be selling them. But people want more luxury, quieter cabins, more economy for the same MPG or better etc. Why should the motor industry deplore them?
There is less profit in basic tin cans,that's why they are not produced. The general public fall victim to the motor industry propaganda which encourages us to think we need all the latest gizmos. Motoring journalism instead of reporting as an independent witness is simply another arm of the industry.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
My first car was a Mini estate. To be comfortable when driving, 32" inside leg, I found some brackets that would move the seat back and raise the front. I was OK but you wouldn't have wanted to sit behind me. My grandmother actually found it easier to get in and out of than my parents 1300. It's the size of the doors that makes the difference.

I now drive a C Max, which is quite a bit wider than my previous Focus and if I recall correctly the new Focus is about the same width as the C Max.

Interestingly, the C Max has a similar sized engine to the Mini but is much faster.

Jody

Stubborn git
There is less profit in basic tin cans,that's why they are not produced. The general public fall victim to the motor industry propaganda which encourages us to think we need all the latest gizmos. Motoring journalism instead of reporting as an independent witness is simply another arm of the industry.

Every industry is like that. Bikes being a prime example.

The more technology and advancement in a car doesn't mean more profit, far from it but more units moved does. If there wasn't the demand for it there wouldn't be supply. There is still plenty of profit in basic cars but as with phones, houses, bikes, tv's etc most people want the best of whatever it is given their budget and circumstance. Whether you subscribe to it is personal choice. No need to berate anyone who aspires to own something like that as being a victim of corporations or propaganda.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Well done @tyred

The peace hippies and the industry bang on about the modern 'green' cars, but the greenest one is one you can keep going cheaply and economically and thus negate the need to build another to replace it at all.
I feel the same about hybrids atm sure they use less petrol if driven right but if your buying one to be eco conscious then you have to take into account how much damage building and shipping the battery costs eco wise in the 1st place

Top Bottom