Are Chav's responsible for the decline of JJB sports?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nearly there

Veteran
So its all over the news that JJB have gone in to Administration with the loss of thousands of jobs,so is it just poor management or a declining economy that have closed it?Or my theory is because the chavs have taken sports wear as their choice of fashion this has led to the everyone else not to wear it:laugh:

Phil_bucks

times have changed, clothes and sports clothing shops have just become (in my opinion) big changing rooms to try on stuff. then, get online and order it cheaper. sign of the times.

Robson3022

I think the Sports Direct mega business has closed them down to be honest. There shops are everywhere, there huge and there cheaper than there competitors. Very difficult to compete with IMHO

Phil_bucks

I think the Sports Direct mega business has closed them down to be honest. There shops are everywhere, there huge and there cheaper than there competitors. Very difficult to compete with IMHO

they are different markets surely? especially when it comes to trabbs. they JJB dont sell the tat that sports direct do.

Cyclist33

they are different markets surely? especially when it comes to trabbs. they JJB dont sell the tat that sports direct do.

Well maybe, maybe not, but they are generally perceived to be the same kit, in much the same way as those not in the know think a £50 bso is effectively the same as a £500 cycle. I would imagine the single biggest reasons for jjb's collapse would be sportsdirect. Which is a real shame, that Ashley feller has a lot to answer for.

Linford

They were running an unsustainable business model which was based on margins which were decided when the exchange rates with the manufacturers were better.
This is the joy of having all your stock produced in a country with a strengthening currency - like China

Robson3022

I would agree but when I was younger and mother dearest was buying sports clothes all the shops were much of a muchness. Where as now SportsDirect are much cheaper and often have a larger selection than other stores.

Linford

I would agree but when I was younger and mother dearest was buying sports clothes all the shops were much of a muchness. Where as now SportsDirect are much cheaper and often have a larger selection than other stores.

It wouldn't surprise me if they had their own factories in the far east to keep a tighter control of costs, and also to cut out the middle man. JJB were box shifters.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
apparently JJB sports didnt have a defined market.

If you want pile it high sell it cheap you go to Sports Direct
If you want the more designer end of the market you go to JD sports, or Nike store etc.

JJB sat in the middle with no real USP. Not exclusive enough for the designer fans and not cheap enough for the bargain shoppers.

007fair

I preferred JJB to Sports Direct which is a horrible place to shop. Sports Direct always had closing down sale / final offer posters up.. yet were never closing down or even refurbishing. I suppose JJB were just not clever enough in the online age but its a pity

ASC1951

Guru
They were running an unsustainable business model which was based on margins which were decided when the exchange rates with the manufacturers were better.
This is the joy of having all your stock produced in a country with a strengthening currency - like China
Er - the Renmimbi/Pound exchange rate is exactly the same as it was four years ago.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Aren't sports clothing shops all the same: selling cheaply made branded rubbish at very expensive prices? I always assumed so, never having been in one.

Davidc

Guru
Poor management.

Didn't adapt as the market evolved.

Latest in a long line, which will continue long after they're forgotten. Sad for all their staff though.

Top Bottom