Are electrically assisted bikes cheating (poll)

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by jonny jeez, 14 Aug 2016.

?
  1. yes

45 vote(s)
    19.4%
  2. no

187 vote(s)
    80.6%
  1. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

2. FishFright

FishFright More wheels than sense

Such people love to join in

3. Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph" A kilogrammicaly challenged woman Moderator

Mod Note:
    Some posts have been deleted, being personal attacks/insults towards other forum members.
    Please keep it civil, thanks.

4. rivers

rivers Über Member

My wife is a 35 year old fitness instructor, and teaches 22 (i think) classes a week. And she rides an e-bike, and uses it to commute to a majority of her classes. Something she wouldn't be able to do on a normal bike. Her body just can't take it without a little bit of assist (or a lot on the hills). And it allows us to go out for all day rides together when the weather is nice. Depending on the amount of assist she's using, she gets anywhere from 50-60 miles per charge.

5. frankiemann93

frankiemann93 Member

Each to their own, everyone has a different opinion! Expense is an issue for me, not sure what the ride to work scheme would be like with it,maybe make it more worth while? Even still, better to stick to a basic cycle,with no electronic assist's in my opinion.

6. frankiemann93

frankiemann93 Member

Affordability is surely an issue to others as well as myself? If you own the bike for a year plus, haven't got a warranty after the first 12 months and the battery brakes, chances are you will need to buy a new one? So more expense. I find regular cycles are pretty good on breakdowns . The electric motor makes it easier and the cyclist should be going at a faster pace, so you have to scale up,do more miles, improve averages.

7. roadrash

roadrash cycle chatterer

@frankiemann93 , you say

The electric motor makes it easier and the cyclist should be going at a faster pace, so you have to scale up,do more miles, improve averages.

can you explain why "YOU HAVE TO " why cant an ebiker do whatever mileage they please

Smokin Joe likes this.
  8. glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist Charming but somewhat feckless

That's a red herring you've introduced to deflect from your original cheating comment.

9. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Extra solar

10. Mike_P

Mike_P Veteran

Agree - having ebiked a hybrid that is largely for use in and around town so I can clamber up the hills for work / shopping , while any longer cycling rides will be by traditional pedal power. It has had a instant effect in that some shopping trips previously done by car have now been done by ebike so overall cycling mileage will increase as a result and the cost of the ebike conversion set against the savings in petrol etc.

burntoutbanger likes this.
  11. burntoutbanger

burntoutbanger Senior Member

The only way you can cheat with an e-bike is if you're using it in an event where they are strictly prohibited.
    Commuting, utility rides, leisure, fitness are all fair game in my opinion.
    As has been said above it is a form of transportation, far better an e-bike than a car.

jowwy, HLaB and Zofo like this.
  12. frankiemann93

frankiemann93 Member

Can look at it as a red herring but bottom line for me is that, it counts as cheating. Personally I wouldn't opt to use one,not a fan of electric bikes or cars. . Would rather use. No ,i'm not baiting. [​IMG]

Attached Files:

13. jowwy

jowwy The bearded Powerhouse

this part of the statement alone would make me question whether this is true

A quarter of the cyclists were on e-bikes, which have an integrated electric motor to propel cycles to speeds of around 20mph.

EU regulations, to which i believe the Netherlands would be part of only allow ebikes to have motors with speeds upto 15.5mph....if they cant get that right in their statement, how do we know or prove the rest is right

14. frankiemann93

frankiemann93 Member

Mean it in a proportion way, anyone can do what they want. For me, if a person does 30 miles on a regular push bike,then you should look to do an extra 10 miles on it,as an example. I get everyone differs, the whole point of this topic is to gain opinions and look at it from different ways. That's mine.

johnblack likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice