Are electrically assisted bikes cheating (poll)

are electrically assisted bikes...cheating?

• yes

Votes: 52 20.6%
  • no

Votes: 200 79.4%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Mod Note:
Some posts have been deleted, being personal attacks/insults towards other forum members.
Please keep it civil, thanks.

rivers

How far can I go?
My wife is a 35 year old fitness instructor, and teaches 22 (i think) classes a week. And she rides an e-bike, and uses it to commute to a majority of her classes. Something she wouldn't be able to do on a normal bike. Her body just can't take it without a little bit of assist (or a lot on the hills). And it allows us to go out for all day rides together when the weather is nice. Depending on the amount of assist she's using, she gets anywhere from 50-60 miles per charge.

I got 48 out of mine with 2 bars out of 5 left........every bike can breakdown.

As for cheating the bank account....thats the stupidest comment i have ever read about having an ebike
Each to their own, everyone has a different opinion! Expense is an issue for me, not sure what the ride to work scheme would be like with it,maybe make it more worth while? Even still, better to stick to a basic cycle,with no electronic assist's in my opinion.

That wasn't the context in which you wrote your original cheating comment. It's disingenuous to pretend you were referring to affordability.
Affordability is surely an issue to others as well as myself? If you own the bike for a year plus, haven't got a warranty after the first 12 months and the battery brakes, chances are you will need to buy a new one? So more expense. I find regular cycles are pretty good on breakdowns . The electric motor makes it easier and the cyclist should be going at a faster pace, so you have to scale up,do more miles, improve averages.

Mike_P

Guru
@frankiemann93 , you say

The electric motor makes it easier and the cyclist should be going at a faster pace, so you have to scale up,do more miles, improve averages.

can you explain why "YOU HAVE TO " why cant an ebiker do whatever mileage they please
Agree - having ebiked a hybrid that is largely for use in and around town so I can clamber up the hills for work / shopping , while any longer cycling rides will be by traditional pedal power. It has had a instant effect in that some shopping trips previously done by car have now been done by ebike so overall cycling mileage will increase as a result and the cost of the ebike conversion set against the savings in petrol etc.

burntoutbanger

Veteran
The only way you can cheat with an e-bike is if you're using it in an event where they are strictly prohibited.
Commuting, utility rides, leisure, fitness are all fair game in my opinion.
As has been said above it is a form of transportation, far better an e-bike than a car.

That's a red herring you've introduced to deflect from your original cheating comment.
Can look at it as a red herring but bottom line for me is that, it counts as cheating. Personally I wouldn't opt to use one,not a fan of electric bikes or cars. . Would rather use. No ,i'm not baiting.
Moped

Attachments

• 300px-Honda_Hobbit.jpg
    300px-Honda_Hobbit.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 20

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
this part of the statement alone would make me question whether this is true

A quarter of the cyclists were on e-bikes, which have an integrated electric motor to propel cycles to speeds of around 20mph.

EU regulations, to which i believe the Netherlands would be part of only allow ebikes to have motors with speeds upto 15.5mph....if they cant get that right in their statement, how do we know or prove the rest is right

@frankiemann93 , you say

The electric motor makes it easier and the cyclist should be going at a faster pace, so you have to scale up,do more miles, improve averages.

can you explain why "YOU HAVE TO " why cant an ebiker do whatever mileage they please
Mean it in a proportion way, anyone can do what they want. For me, if a person does 30 miles on a regular push bike,then you should look to do an extra 10 miles on it,as an example. I get everyone differs, the whole point of this topic is to gain opinions and look at it from different ways. That's mine.

jowwy

Can look at it as a red herring but bottom line for me is that, it counts as cheating. Personally I wouldn't opt to use one,not a fan of electric bikes or cars. . Would rather use. No ,i'm not baiting.
Moped
cheating at WHAT?? your still deflecting the answer to the question......

jowwy

the whole point of this topic is to gain opinions and look at it from different ways. That's mine.

no - the point of the topic is as stated " are electrically assisted bikes, cheating"

nothing about mileage, cost.......

Top Bottom