Are Fixed Wheel Bikes Faster

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The OP said Fixed Vs SS.

Fixed is much more fluid and TBH I can't ever see any reason going SS over Fixed. I jumped into Fixed almost 2 years ago, and prefer it for commuting - blooming good training, but to ride SS..nope. SS Is like being stuck in one gear on a geared bike = no advantage, no extra training !

Fixed teaches you to pedal much more efficiently over a range of RPM, and more importantly, teaches you to use higher RPM on the geared bikes. My averages on geared bikes are over 10 rpm higher than before these days.

Fixed Vs gears, not the same playing field.

OP
OP
O

Oldie But Goodie

I hope to find out later. I enjoyed riding singlespeed and so I got it coverted to fixed. I picked it up yesterday and weather permitting, will do an hour on it later today.

Martin

OP
OP
O

Oldie But Goodie

Well Martin please dont do what I bloody did today and ended up flat on my ass!
I forgot I was riding fixed and tried to hop over a pavement and came off and hit the curb
I have to say though thats the only problem I have had and was lucky today with no damage to the bike, me or my riding gear

OP
OP
O

Oldie But Goodie

Got to agree with that. I was talking to someone about this the other day, and I was saying that when riding fixed, the bike really does feel like an extension of the body, even more so than with a good multi geared racing bike. You can't tell where your legs, arse and hands end and the bike begins, and sometimes it almost feels as if the bike is riding you, and not you riding the bike. But faster? On what length of journey and on what type of terrain? You'd be pushed to even get round some of my rides round here on a fixed.

I rode fixed for years when I was young, and will soon be riding one again if everything goes to plan, so I'll be having a look in here more often. I think this is the first time I've posted in the fixie section.

montage

God Almighty
After my recent flight over my handlebars I have come to a new conclusion about fixed wheels bikes.
They are for cavemen....evolution occurred for a reason! No freewheel is so 2000 BC.

On a serious note, if you ride fixed, make sure your cleats have enough tension so that your feet don't come out halfway down a hill, as this can result in a fair bit of tarmac munching. I can see why people prefer fixed wheel, and it is good fun, but for somebody with dodgy knees like myself the downhills can just be too silly - my latest crash was the last straw with the fixie craze for me. Speed wise, fixed is ok on the flat and gentle rises, but I found when in a group I couldn't keep up on the longer downhills. I wouldn't hesitate using a fixed wheel TT bike on a pan flat course though, or if I had one light enough, for a hill climb

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The OP said Fixed Vs SS.

Fixed is much more fluid and TBH I can't ever see any reason going SS over Fixed.

off road. Fixed MTB's are damn nigh lethal ime. A stupid stupid idea and experience which I never ever want to repeat. SS MTB's, on the otherhand, are a joy forever.

on road? SS give's you simplicity, light weight, low maintenance, along with much of the grin and bear it three speed (sitting standing pushing) nature of fixed riding without having to learn an entirely new way of riding which does not come naturally to many people. My current build is a two speed freewheel kick back hub gear. A single speed that isn't.

and I'll confess to flip flopping my rear wheel on my fixed to freewheel on the return leg of a long ride to get the benefit of a lower gear uphill and not having to pedal down (but I was in Wales)

Norry1

Legendary Member
Well Martin please dont do what I bloody did today and ended up flat on my ass!
I forgot I was riding fixed and tried to hop over a pavement and came off and hit the curb
I have to say though thats the only problem I have had and was lucky today with no damage to the bike, me or my riding gear

Well that's my first fixed ride completed. The first 10 minutes felt absolutely weird :wacko: and I wondered if I was going to make it round without a major binnning. After a while though it became a bit more natural.

I noticed 3 main things:

1. Stopping was strange - normally I freewheel the last few yards which obviously I couldn't do.

2. When something comes up normally, like a big bump, or a slippery patch etc, normally I must stop pedalling whilst my brain decides what to do. You can't do that on a fixed!

3. It is harder work because you never stop pedalling.

Overall I enjoyed it, but it'll take a while before it comes naturally.

Unfortunately, I had no Zen experience, perhaps I need cleansing :whistle:

Martin

OP
OP
O

Oldie But Goodie

Well that's my first fixed ride completed. The first 10 minutes felt absolutely weird :wacko: and I wondered if I was going to make it round without a major binnning. After a while though it became a bit more natural.

I noticed 3 main things:

1. Stopping was strange - normally I freewheel the last few yards which obviously I couldn't do.

2. When something comes up normally, like a big bump, or a slippery patch etc, normally I must stop pedalling whilst my brain decides what to do. You can't do that on a fixed!

3. It is harder work because you never stop pedalling.

Overall I enjoyed it, but it'll take a while before it comes naturally.

Unfortunately, I had no Zen experience, perhaps I need cleansing :whistle:

Martin

Sounds like you had a great time Martin, my overhaul fitness has improved so much in the month which Ive had the bike.
Keep peddling and you will enjoy that spiritual experience

Top Bottom