Are Fixed Wheel Bikes Faster

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldie But Goodie

Look, it may be my total imagination and even a stupid question but could someone tell me if fixed gear bikes are faster than single speed?
The reason am asking because when riding my fixed speed bike it just feels part of me and faster than anything else Ive ever ridden, its difficult to explain but its just as though I have 2 wheels attached to my body, a sort of a spiritual experience whilst riding.
So, are fixies supposed to move faster and have I just had the spiritual experience of riding bikes?
Or am I just being bloody daft here?

raindog

er.....
The reason am asking because when riding my fixed speed bike it just feels part of me and faster than anything else Ive ever ridden, its difficult to explain but its just as though I have 2 wheels attached to my body, a sort of a spiritual experience whilst riding.
Got to agree with that. I was talking to someone about this the other day, and I was saying that when riding fixed, the bike really does feel like an extension of the body, even more so than with a good multi geared racing bike. You can't tell where your legs, arse and hands end and the bike begins, and sometimes it almost feels as if the bike is riding you, and not you riding the bike. But faster? On what length of journey and on what type of terrain? You'd be pushed to even get round some of my rides round here on a fixed.

I rode fixed for years when I was young, and will soon be riding one again if everything goes to plan, so I'll be having a look in here more often. I think this is the first time I've posted in the fixie section.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Or am I just being bloody daft here?

Mainly it's a zen thing.

I push myself harder on my fixed, and on my new hub geared two speed, than I do on my 27 speed weekend bike. Partly a case of having to. It is fascinating to go on a social type of club ride on fixed with other people on geared bikes. Most hills, except the really steep ones, you have to blast past them to keep your cadence up but on the steep stuff, well, they get their own back.

colinr

Fixed doesn't let me get lazy and change gears, so on a normal ride I ride at least as fast as, if not faster than my geared bike.

But if I'm not being lazy and sitting in the big ring where I should be, ratios win out.

Norry1

Legendary Member
I hope to find out later. I enjoyed riding singlespeed and so I got it coverted to fixed. I picked it up yesterday and weather permitting, will do an hour on it later today.

Martin

tyred

Legendary Member
It's uncanny just how high your average speed can be on a fixed gear bike. You won't have the high speed descents you would have with a geared bike (at least I don't, I always bottle it and feather the brakes) but my average speed over an undulating thirty mile loop on my fixed (69" gear) is more or less the same as my geared road bike. Logically, it shouldn't be the case but it seems to be for me.

monkeypony

On a flat sprint possibly, although they'll be slower to accelerate than a geared bike. For the rest of the time no, they're slower

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
On a flat sprint possibly, although they'll be slower to accelerate than a geared bike. For the rest of the time no, they're slower

tell that to Beryl Burton (or Eileen Sheridan)

mercian-sheriden3-400.jpg

EDIT: Apologies that is in fact Eileen Sheridan in 1950 on her Mercian

raindog

er.....
Can't remember ever seeing that actual photo of Beryl before - what year is it? Obviously early in her career.

Off topic a bit, but do any of you guys know whether anyone still rides fixed at the top level of UK time-trialling?

GrasB

Veteran
2 things limit your speed on a fixed bike, imbalances when pedaling/pedal strike & maximum cadence. So until you get into a hard corner or a long descent over your maximum cadence you'll be ever so slightly quicker on fixed compared to an SS.

Actually up a slight incline & find a fixed bike is faster than anything with a freewheel for the same HR. Also the OP compared a fixed to a single speed not geared.

Can't remember ever seeing that actual photo of Beryl before - what year is it? Obviously early in her career.

Off topic a bit, but do any of you guys know whether anyone still rides fixed at the top level of UK time-trialling?

Plenty of fixed TT'ers in the UK, would do so myself but already have an expensive geared tt bike. FWIW on a flatish course a fixed tt bike is quicker than geared. Not rocket science and am surprised the question needs to be asked about SS v Fixed, it's called momentum. On a fast club run I have an easier ride on flat sections and slight uphill gradients, but suffer a bit on long descents followed immediately by a climb [ok, I suffer a lot]. Brilliant training though.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.

See my edit above.

This is the photo I was after

mercian-burton.jpg

La Grande Dame Beryl Burton on fixed mercian c 1959

Am I right in thinking one of the TT records for women she set (on fixed) still stands?

Top Bottom