Are Fixed Wheel Bikes Faster

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
O

Oldie But Goodie

But sometimes people abuse the ability to edit.

Martin

Excellent thanks mate

D

Deleted member 1258

Well that's my first fixed ride completed. The first 10 minutes felt absolutely weird :wacko: and I wondered if I was going to make it round without a major binnning. After a while though it became a bit more natural.

I noticed 3 main things:

1. Stopping was strange - normally I freewheel the last few yards which obviously I couldn't do.

2. When something comes up normally, like a big bump, or a slippery patch etc, normally I must stop pedalling whilst my brain decides what to do. You can't do that on a fixed!

3. It is harder work because you never stop pedalling.

Overall I enjoyed it, but it'll take a while before it comes naturally.

Unfortunately, I had no Zen experience, perhaps I need cleansing :whistle:

Martin

Sounds like you had fun, keep at it it will soon become natural. I did a 52 mile club ride this morning, like your ride it was enjoyable. On the subject of speed I can't compare with ss, I've not ridden one since I was a small boy, but I find my average speed on the fixed is about 15mph, which is about the same as I manage on gears.

RedBike

I was always slightly quicker up the hills fixed wheel than single speed. Downhill or on rough roads I was always MUCH quicker single speed.

On the flat there was never really felt much of a difference between fixed/SS. However, I was strangely always slightly quicker fixed. I think that riding fixed encouraged me to maintain a slightly higher cadence.

On a group ride with geared riders while riding fixed I would always get dropped on any quick or twisty descent. However, whenever there was a short rise I was always noticably quicker. The geared riders would all momentarily stop pedalling to change down gears and therefore loose speed/ momentum whereas the fixie somehow seemed to maintain it's speed up the first part of the climb much better.

Hardly video of the year, but this is a link to the start of my first ride. I'm sure Wendy half expected me to fall off in the first 20 seconds :smile:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=f67UDPKoiVY

Martin

Congratulations, now all you need is a set of mudguards and cleaning your bike after a wet ride becomes so easy. Riding fixed is like marmite, but I am convinced that those that give up on it don't persevere long enough.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Anything that basically uses skidding as a method of slowing down is going to be a nightmare on ice (which is what I have to deal with 4 months of the year). ss is a lot safer. Call me a pussy if you like.

I also don't quite get the 'it's no extra training' argument. I've ridden ss for training purposes and I've ridden fixed. The only thing that's really different in terms of training is that you have the option of being lazy and freewheeling on an ss. But that's an option. The cadences you get from spinning are related to the size of the cog you are using and if you are disciplined and don't freewheel, then you will get just as much 'training' benefit from an ss.

I'd agree that riding fixed is something special though. It does feel different from anything else. I'll just leave it until the springtime...

GrasB

Veteran
Anything that basically uses skidding as a method of slowing down is going to be a nightmare on ice (which is what I have to deal with 4 months of the year). ss is a lot safer. Call me a pussy if you like.
blink.gif
... sorry what? I ride fixed & rarely skid the back wheel. I skid or lock up the rear wheel to fix my pedal position for some reason &/or when negotiating very tight turns.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
blink.gif
... sorry what? I ride fixed & rarely skid the back wheel. I skid or lock up the rear wheel to fix my pedal position for some reason &/or when negotiating very tight turns.

What I meant was having a free wheel means I can ride more safely on ice at my level of ability. I'm don't pretend to be the best fixed wheel rider in the world, so I don't trust myself riding fixed on ice - things are too unpredictable. Maybe one day, but not now.

GrasB

Veteran
I'm still not getting the skidding for braking thing, just use the rear brake with care. My problem with riding fixed on ice is if the rear lets going when I'm putting power down I stop pedalling, which with almost 0 resistance to slowing down means the rear wheel stops with my feet.

D

Deleted member 1258

I also don't quite get the 'it's no extra training' argument. I've ridden ss for training purposes and I've ridden fixed. The only thing that's really different in terms of training is that you have the option of being lazy and freewheeling on an ss. But that's an option. The cadences you get from spinning are related to the size of the cog you are using and if you are disciplined and don't freewheel, then you will get just as much 'training' benefit from an ss.

I'd agree that riding fixed is something special though. It does feel different from anything else. I'll just leave it until the springtime...

I ride fixed in the snow and ice, have done for several years, I've always found fixed to be better in slippery conditions. I ride with both front and rear brakes and combine leg braking with a touch of back brake when its slippery.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I ride fixed in the snow and ice, have done for several years, I've always found fixed to be better in slippery conditions. I ride with both front and rear brakes and combine leg braking with a touch of back brake when its slippery.

Doesn't having brakes reduce the purity of riding fixed though? If that's what part of it's about. I've certainly seen a lot of criticism of people on fixie sites who put up pictures of their fixies with brakes...

mangid

Guru
Doesn't having brakes reduce the purity of riding fixed though? If that's what part of it's about. I've certainly seen a lot of criticism of people on fixie sites who put up pictures of their fixies with brakes...

I guess there are many takes on riding fixed. Mine is that riding fixed is just pure joy. I do about 6K a year on the fixed, and maybe another 1.5K on the shopper and road bike. Fixed is just better, always ridden with a front brake, never a back. As Sheldon says, when you're doing an emergency stop, the rear wheel plays no part in stopping.

--
Dan

D

Deleted member 1258

In the UK its illegal to ride brakeless. You must have at least a front brake on a fixed in this country to be legal, back and front brake for a bike with a freewheel. I'm more interested in the practicalities than the purity. My fixed is my transport, I only have gears on my best bike and that normally only gets used on Summer Sundays, I ride in all weathers and because of that I want two brakes. Using a front brake when its slippery puts you at risk of a face plant, I may catch the back when it steps out but I'm unlikely to catch the front, and if I don't I'd rather land on my arse than my face.

GrasB

Veteran
The 'Purity' of fixed can go forth & multiply. When you're doing 25mph & up I'm certainly not wanting to rely on leg braking when a an animal runs into the road, a car pulls out without looking, etc. No I want decent brakes that allow me to stop on 6 pence. In addition to this using the brakes in a corner changes the attitude of the bike slightly with less lean & a limited ability to transfer weight around the bike this little extra change can help you corner more smoothly. In short IMHO a rider who rides a fixie without at least a front brake is a twat.

Top Bottom