Are there any walkers here

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brand

Used to do tons of walking. Great way to forage but after getting septic arthritis I thought that is the end of walking. As it turns out that was the end of 24 mile walks. After walking a mates dogs for two and half weeks I now know it is the end of 6 mile walks unless I take Arthretic 75 a drug which caused me stomach damage so can't get prescription. But I have a bit left over... so just occasionally.
Cycling rebuilt the muscles to support the joint which meant I have to wait another 3 years for a new knee. Not sure I gained from that! Of course the terrain makes a difference flat being best.
It is time I started cycling to walk. The problem is obviously where to put my bike at the start of the walk AND which bike do I use. An old one or my Rolhoff equipped one. My main problem is the swelling isn't consistent and found it very hard to cycle a half mile home after that 6 mile walk. The knee simply wouldn't bend. No excuse need to get out walking more... leave my bike at a pub, now that sounds a good idea!

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
We're lucky to be sandwiched between two AONBs with hills, woods and footpaths, meaning we can walk into countryside from our front door. I devised a 17 mile route to the coast that I've walked with friends on a few occasions.
DSC_0199.JPG

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
I have started doing a lot more walking recently, in the past month and a half I have done just under 150 miles and I have lost a lot of body fat and a bit of weight. I am finding that walking is toning my body much more than cycling has, I have lost more body fat / weight in the last month and a half than I ever have in the past 8 years of cycling so I shall be trying to keep it up.

OP
OP
welsh dragon

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I have started doing a lot more walking recently, in the past month and a half I have done just under 150 miles and I have lost a lot of body fat and a bit of weight. I am finding that walking is toning my body much more than cycling has, I have lost more body fat / weight in the last month and a half than I ever have in the past 8 years of cycling so I shall be trying to keep it up.

How far do you walk at any one time?

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Fantastic photos here, some of you are very lucky to live where you do, very envious.
I do a little walking and always enjoy it and I do find it helps with weight loss as I think you can plateau if only doing one activity. I walk in either the Peak district or North Wales but often just round where I live. I like looking for interesting spots on maps and digging them out, I found a motte and bailey castle recently about three miles from where I live which I knew nothing about.

brand

I did a 100k once near Ramsbottom it had to be done in less than 24 hours. Overnight non stop, although there was a tea break at a few checkpoints. Routes are not marked it is map reading all the way. About 30-40 kilometres in you find your mate for the rest of the walk/jog someone going at the same speed as you. Boots no good, trainers only.
During the night we couldn't find a footpath ended up doing an extra 4 or 5 kilometres a bit annoying!
Finished with a decent time to spare. But after sitting down having sandwichs and tea I found the walk to the bus stop about 400 yards away agony. My mate for the night stopped in his car to say good bye and I asked for a lift to the bus stop. It was a Sunday so buses infrequent. My intentions were bus to Bury train or Metro (cannot remember which) followed by second bus. Sat there for a while pain in my legs getting worse.....called taxi expensive but I think was going to struggle with all the waiting for public transport. The taxi driver carried everything in to my house for me but refused to carry me! Did 50k about month latter,easy peasy!
Each of the walking clubs (each county has one) that do these events take it in turn to do 100 milers. Never did one as never joined one of the clubs so never got the info but the Ramsbottom event organisers send me an email every few years when the event is on....erhh no thanks.

OP
OP
welsh dragon

welsh dragon

Fantastic photos here, some of you are very lucky to live where you do, very envious.
I do a little walking and always enjoy it and I do find it helps with weight loss as I think you can plateau if only doing one activity. I walk in either the Peak district or North Wales but often just round where I live. I like looking for interesting spots on maps and digging them out, I found a motte and bailey castle recently about three miles from where I live which I knew nothing about.

Its amazing the thing and places you can find and see in the area you live in. Things you never knew were there and some fantastic scenery as well.

OP
OP
welsh dragon

welsh dragon

I am beginning to think about organising another forum walk after reading these posts!

I went for a 6-miler yesterday and can feel that it activated muscles that 190 miles of cycling in Scotland last week didn't do much for.

I know some people say that being walking fit does not necessarily mean you will be better on a bike, but I do think they can go hand in hand with each other and compliment each other and so aid in better fitness and lower weight

brand

I am beginning to think about organising another forum walk after reading these posts!

I went for a 6-miler yesterday and can feel that it activated muscles that 190 miles of cycling in Scotland last week didn't do much for.
A physio told me the primary muscle for cycling is your Quads his reasoning was a bit iffy as I always think it is your hamstring. Either way you are working one muscle more than the other. When I got a bit of arthritis in one knee years ago I decided to increase the cycling to keep fit for rugby but when I broke from the scrum I struggled to the next breakdown. My legs felt burnt out for a few minutes so I bought a strider type machine which I thought mimicked running it did the trick. Although I was still shoot at rugby at least I could be shoot close to the action!!

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
I know some people say that being walking fit does not necessarily mean you will be better on a bike, but I do think they can go hand in hand with each other and compliment each other and so aid in better fitness and lower weight

I seem to get fitter from cycling i.e. I recover much quicker now after climbing up a big hill but I just dont seem to get any thinner.

OP
OP
welsh dragon

welsh dragon

I seem to get fitter from cycling i.e. I recover much quicker now after climbing up a big hill but I just dont seem to get any thinner.

As someone else said. I think you reach a plateau if you just do the one kind of exercise. I also think age plays a part as well. The older we get, the harder it is to lose weight anyway.

Top Bottom