Are we being forced to go electric?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
Where we are staying, if it wasn't for the love of cycling, the locals would have died from pollution. Hardly any EVs.

All driving German diesels.

We decided to walk into the town across the fields from the farm we are staying at. We had a lovely meal , got pissed up, walk the local park, then remembered we had a 3.5 mile walk in 35°C heat back. I think we have notched up 8 miles. We should have used some form of EV. The take up of rental E scooters is big here. Same as Ypres. Doubt they would have coped with rough track's

Gunk

Guru
That's because Tesla are way out in front of vehicles on the road with advanced safety features compared to anyone else.

Tesla safety record is better with safety systems engaged.

As one safety engineer phrased.

Autonomous vehicles don't need to be perfect, just better than Humans driving

Shame the build quality is so poor, the finish reminds of a 1980’s Hyundai

classic33

Leg End Member
Strictly speaking, that's nonsense. Tesla pay for the electricity they don't magic it up.
So there's a few steps between where the electric is generated (quite possibly fossil fuel used for this) and the charging point. The point where the pollution is produced isn't the car itself, it's somewhere unseen.

The the part I can't get my head round. Just because the vehicle isn't the production point, it's a "clean vehicle".
Any one know what the "tipping point" will be. There'll come a point when the number of vehicles requiring charging points will be beyond the capacity of the grid. They've matched output to major events, in the past. What about the power cuts being talked about at present, for the start of next year. Will people stop charging their cars, or do the electric equivalent of a petrol shortage, drive round looking for a working, suitable, charging point?

CXRAndy

Guru
Shame the build quality is so poor, the finish reminds of a 1980’s Hyundai

That was in the early years back in 2014/5. Ever since the the model 3 quality is excellent. No worse than any other vehicle.

Model Y is anticipated to be the as popular as the Toyota Corolla. Daughter and son will be ordering a Y for their next vehicles.

midlife

Guru
That was in the early years back in 2014/5. Ever since the the model 3 quality is excellent. No worse than any other vehicle.

Model Y is anticipated to be the as popular as the Toyota Corolla. Daughter and son will be ordering a Y for their next vehicles.

Blimey 44 million Model Y times 57 plus grand each is a lot of pocket money for Musk

Gunk

Guru
I looked at a friend's Model 3, no where near as good as my BMW. They’ve got a long was to go to get anywhere the premium German brands.

look at the steering wheel looks like it’s been lifted from a 1990’s Astra. It may be a very competent electric car, but IMO It s just devoid of any character or soul. They’re the motoring equivalent of white goods. taken mainly as company cars because of the low BIK.

75F50C33-737D-407E-91B6-1361FC608C42.jpeg

gzoom

Über Member
It may be a very competent electric car, but IMO It s just devoid of any character or soul. They’re the motoring equivalent of white goods. taken mainly as company cars because of the low BIK.

I love when this come up :smile:....

As one who has owned a car that is mentioned in the same sentence as McLaren F1, F40....

6889763778_173d188a07_c_d.jpg

....the poster boy for the FF generation...

6889858932_5182ed5135_c_d.jpg

....and modified the life out of the first turbo charged inline 6 BMW for decades (N54)....

14941646521_2ab439400e_c_d.jpg

I feel I have some credibility when it comes to what gives a car 'soul', 'character' :smile:.

Guss what, our soon to be 7 year old EV betters every single of my previous cars interms of 'character', 'soul', what ever you want to call. Having just come back from a pan European road trip, there isn't another car I would swap our Tesla for, none at all.

52222137291_b70b50b7b5_c_d.jpg

52220332187_cd537aa8a8_c_d.jpg

As for build quality, here is what the interior and paint work of near 7 year old Tesla looks like. (I've given the link to the hires file if you want to examine in detail :smile:).

Having owned a string over nice combustion cars, IMO your comments on 'white goods' motoring couldn't be further away from the truth for these cars.

52267422054_aef485a385_4k_d.jpg

52247267368_5c25bd0d5a_4k_d.jpg

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
I looked at a friend's Model 3, no where near as good as my BMW. They’ve got a long was to go to get anywhere the premium German brands.

look at the steering wheel looks like it’s been lifted from a 1990’s Astra. It may be a very competent electric car, but IMO It s just devoid of any character or soul. They’re the motoring equivalent of white goods. taken mainly as company cars because of the low BIK.

View attachment 657176

That's it, it's just your opinion which is biased against EVs mainly Tesla.

The market doesn't agree with you, despite rising prices Tesla continue to grow with huge demand.

If you like German vehicles buy a Porsche taycan, Audi Etron or Merc EQ. You will pay far more, equivalent to model S .

The model 3 and Y offer everything the models above but for far less cost. If Tesla continue on their current sales growth. They will release a £25k EV, that will crush the lower end competition. But considering the Model 3 and Y are so popular, Tesla doesn't need to rush into a cheaper car

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
That's it, it's just your opinion which is biased against EVs mainly Tesla.

The market doesn't agree with you, despite rising prices Tesla continue to grow with huge demand.

If you like German vehicles buy a Porsche taycan, Audi Etron or Merc EQ. You will pay far more, equivalent to model S .

The model 3 and Y offer everything the models above but for far less cost. If Tesla continue on their current sales growth. They will release a £25k EV, that will crush the lower end competition. But considering the Model 3 and Y are so popular, Tesla doesn't need to rush into a cheaper car

Isn’t everything an opinion? That’s what I was doing, expressing a personal opinion

figbat

Slippery scientist

As one who has owned a car that is mentioned in the same sentence as McLaren F1, F40....

View attachment 657179

View attachment 657180

....and modified the life out of the first turbo charged inline 6 BMW for decades (N54)....

View attachment 657181

I feel I have some credibility when it comes to what gives a car 'soul', 'character' :smile:.

Guss what, our soon to be 7 year old EV betters every single of my previous cars interms of 'character', 'soul', what ever you want to call. Having just come back from a pan European road trip, there isn't another car I would swap our Tesla for, none at all.

View attachment 657182

View attachment 657183

As for build quality, here is what the interior and paint work of near 7 year old Tesla looks like. (I've given the link to the hires file if you want to examine in detail :smile:).

Having owned a string over nice combustion cars, IMO your comments on 'white goods' motoring couldn't be further away from the truth for these cars.

View attachment 657184

View attachment 657185

Much as I am an EV convert and agree with much of what you write, in this case your own post has shown (to me) one example of the build quality challenges that Tesla face. Panel shut lines are a common measure of build quality and Tesla don’t seem to either care or be able to do it the same as traditional car makers. Many’s the time I have sat behind a Tesla and noticed the inconsistent shut lines around the boot. Your picture shows one too…
1660467657400.png

It’s not going to affect how the car works but just jumps out to me as wonky. But, as I said, maybe Tesla don’t care about traditional measures like this, if it makes no difference to performance or practicality or range or whatever. It’s perhaps another example of having to think about Teslas differently than ‘old-fashioned’ cars - focus on what is important rather than what is perceived to be important.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks

View attachment 657179

View attachment 657180

View attachment 657181

View attachment 657182

View attachment 657183

View attachment 657184

View attachment 657185

Love that DC2 Teg, my brother used to have a championship white one. Can see why they're stupid money now. Just the driving experience and connection to the road really that most modern cars simply don't have, not the ones I've driven anyway. Hardly any tech and a 90's Rover interior, lovely. Awesome suspension, gearbox and a screaming B18C out of the box.

FishFright

More wheels than sense

View attachment 657176

BMW fit premium plastics to give an air of build quality.

gzoom

Über Member
Panel shut lines are a common measure of build quality and Tesla don’t seem to either care or be able to do it the same as traditional car makers.

There are whole YouTube channels and websites dedicated people with measuring taped and calipers going around different Tesla cars on this :smile:.

But as you say they make zero difference to anything. Our Lexus has perfect shut lines and has all the other traditional hall marks of 'quality' you would associate with a Lexus , but its so DULL compared to our Tesla.

We've bought new in 2015 (so 7.5 years old now), does 45 mpg, but we've do barely 5000 miles a year in it, versus well over 10k per year in the Tesla, and that says it all about which car we perfer to use as a family.

52276262645_81c6d8a4f4_c_d.jpg

I normally don't do dumper stickers, but Norway really was exceptional and I need a bit of colour on our 'white goods' car :smile:.

52272329033_52f59bdb2e_c_d.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom