Are we being forced to go electric?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gzoom

Über Member
Love that DC2 Teg

The DC2 is the only car I regert selling....it was also the car that nearly killed me, you had to drive it at 10/10 everywhere, which meant some stupid risk taking on my part when I was in my 20s.

The one I had came with no aircon, or even radio!!! I was the 8th owner in 5 years, and I sold it after just 9 months as it was my only car. Sitting in a traffic jam on the M25, in nearly 30 degree heat listening to headphones wasn't exactly 'fun'.

If my wife would allow, I would have another one as a weekend toy tomorrow. They do need alot work given their age these days.....and to be honest the pedal bike is a far more sensible way to push the limits of grip on the roads :smile:.

CXRAndy

Guru
How dare they :laugh:

20220816_105007.jpg

Tesla did promise other EV owners access to their unparalleled charging network. It was also a UK registered Renault;). I think they are paying 60-65p/kW.

I've used 360kW so far and maybe another 80kW to get home @ zero cost. :hyper:

If I had to pay Tesla fees it would be around £150 for 1500 miles

Circa £450 if I still ran an ICE vehicle, plus emission pollutants

icowden

Veteran
Someone is paying for the leccy ! :boxing: I think it will no longer be cheap/free very soon.

Tesla pay for the supercharging leccy. Lifetime free charging was part of the purchase with the S and X models up until 2020. First buyers of the 3 also got free supercharging but only for the first owner.

It seems like a daft idea, but remember that *most* of the time a Tesla is charged at home.

CXRAndy

Guru
Tesla pay for the supercharging leccy. Lifetime free charging was part of the purchase with the S and X models up until 2020. First buyers of the 3 also got free supercharging but only for the first owner.

It seems like a daft idea, but remember that *most* of the time a Tesla is charged at home.

Wife got 12 months free. Again overall supercharger use is very rarely utilised. No brainer for Tesla to offer a year or lifetime for early adopters of their cars

CXRAndy

Guru
20220817_083609.jpg

20220817_083615.jpg
Trying out my extended lead with 2 pin euro plug😁

Unfortunately, that is very true in many ways :sad:

The better off you are, the easier it is to make use of economies of scale and take the up front costs that end up saving you money in the longer term.

Both EVs and solar panels are just further examples of that.

And boots of course !

Sallar55

Veteran
The electric car has just moved the local environmental problems elsewhere. Lithium recycling at the moment is too costly, they might have a change of mind according to VW. And with global temps rising water is an issue. Quick Google search below

The extraction process of lithium is very resource demanding and specifically uses a lot of water in the extraction process. It is estimated that 500,000 gallons of water is used to mine one metric ton of lithium.[9] With the world's leading country in production of lithium being Chile,[10] the lithium mines are in rural areas with an extremely diverse ecosystem.[11] In Chile’s Salar de Atacama, one of the driest places on earth, about 65% of the water is used to mine lithium; leaving many of the local farmers and members of the community to find water elsewhere.[12][13] Along with physical implications on the environment, working conditions can violate the standards of sustainable development goals. The work is in very dangerous conditions with children as young as seven participating.[14] Additionally, it is common for locals to be in conflict with the surrounding lithium mines. There have been many accounts of dead animals and ruined farms in the surrounding areas of many of these mines. In Tagong, a small town in Garzê Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture China, there are records of dead fish and large animals floating down some of the rivers near the Tibetan mines. After further investigation, researchers found that this may have been caused by leakage of evaporation pools that sit for months and sometimes even years.[15]

Finite resourceEdit

While lithium ion batteries can be used as a part of sustainable solution, shifting all fossil fuel-powered devices to lithium based batteries might not be the Earth's best option. There is no scarcity yet, but it is a natural resource that can be depleted.[16] According to researchers at Volkswagen, there are about 14 million tons of lithium left, which corresponds to 165 times the production volume in 2018.[17]

Recycling​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom