Are we being forced to go electric?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
I think this might be wishful thinking on your part.
The big boys have been very slow off the mark and we've all seen long established companies fail.

I'd not be surprised if we wouldn't even recognize the brand of the top EV in 15 years time.

Not at all, there seems to be a lot of crowing that Toyota are so far behind, loosing money etc, yet Toyota can look at other ways of motive power, they cracked EV’s decades ago, they’ve been building materials handling gear powered by electric for so long they know what’s what with regard to making something move under electric power, & they don’t just make cars, they have their interests in many other businesses too

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Is this anything different to the exaggerated MPG of ICE cars ?

Or indeed e-bikes.

Range is in absolute ideal conditions and driving/riding like a granny.

Not at all, there seems to be a lot of crowing that Toyota are so far behind, loosing money etc, yet Toyota can look at other ways of motive power, they cracked EV’s decades ago, they’ve been building materials handling gear powered by electric for so long they know what’s what with regard to making something move under electric power, & they don’t just make cars, they have their interests in many other businesses too

I'm amazed that Toyota seem to have been barking up the wrong tree with hydrogen. Time will tell though.

Chislenko

Veteran
I really don’t get this absolute adoration of Tesla ? It’s a car ? A mode of transport ? Maybe I’m getting the wrong impression here but you want every other manufacturer to fail and Tesla to be the only kid on the block ? Apologies if that’s not the case but you’re doing a poor job of disguising it .

To be fair Mr. Grumpy it reminds me of when I used to have a "fleet" of Alfa's on the drive.

You would go to Alfa track days etc and woe betide anybody who turned up in anything else.

I used to have them because they were fun to drive but for a lot of the club members it became an obsession.

NB. This was back in the day when Alfa's were Alfa's and not Fiat / Stellantis derivatives.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
To be fair Mr. Grumpy it reminds me of when I used to have a "fleet" of Alfa's on the drive.

You would go to Alfa track days etc and woe betide anybody who turned up in anything else.

I used to have them because they were fun to drive but for a lot of the club members it became an obsession.

NB. This was back in the day when Alfa's were Alfa's and not Fiat / Stellantis derivatives.

could probably be described as an illness then :whistle:

I like Alfas btw , even the new ones look lovely , granted nothing like the originals with the rusting standing still :whistle: did you see my post the other week about the Integrale that was in our car park ? Mint and beautiful car , think the same person has a collection as there was an original restored MR2 in last week .

CXRAndy

Guru
there seems to be a lot of crowing that Toyota are so far behind
China the largest car market in the world
Toyotas only true Bev. B4ZX has sold 7000 units in 3 months.

BYD and Tesla are selling around 70000 per month

Toyota debt has grown from $186bn to $220 billion in just over a year.

Yes they're selling around 9million ICE per year. The emerging future markets are in BEV not ICE.

If Toyota had brought attractive desirable BEVs then maybe the analysts wouldn't be so critical of them

You may think they're overpriced, but when you compare them other brands they're more than competitive.

The biggest difference is Tesla actually makes profit per vehicle they sell.

Tesla will release a smaller car in the near future, which will fall right into small commute vehicle.

And how much of that "profit" is government subsidies in the form of factories, tax breaks and grants? It's easy to make a profit when you get handouts, and yet Tesla has only recently managed to do it.

Would you want to buy anything from a company who may yet loose their charging system(including what is built into their vehicles) and their motive power units?
All currently in the court system for patent infringement. And a further case of breach of contract if they do lose their charging network.

What amazes me is that governments fall over to subsidise them, which given their CEO's track record of over promising and delivering a worse version of something else, if at all, is very odd.

Apparently Tesla didn't supply megachargers to Pepsi either, so they had to build their own.

CXRAndy

Guru
And how much of that "profit" is government subsidies in the form of factories, tax breaks and grants? It's easy to make a profit when you get handouts, and yet Tesla has only recently managed to do it.

Tesla has invested in scaling up. An Amazing achievement to go from start up to the most valuable car company in 10 years. They are cash rich

Tesla has accessed equity financing by keeping their early debt low. Much much lower costs. Investment market obviously sees a future with Tesla

Which again, is rather surprising considering their CEO's track record and the company's actual profits.

But again, as the taxpayers of several countries seem to be supplying a lot of the money I guess it's seen as a safe bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom