Are we being forced to go electric?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
Tha article I read (and unfortunately can't find again) stated that Tesla supplied technical help, but Pepsi built the chargers. It'll be interesting to know how much power they draw and how much damage they do to the battery.

They draw 1000k Watts(1 milion Watts) for the battery. I don't know the actual voltage of the semi battery, assuming 700volts. 1400amps on the DC side.

Edit they use a 1000 Volt battery arrangement

Ac side USA uses 480V 3 phase, but they could be using high grid voltages into the tens of kilo volts

Last edited:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Tesla has invested in scaling up. An Amazing achievement to go from start up to the most valuable car company in 10 years. They are cash rich

Thought it was more like 20 years?

It's still an impressive and rapid success story, but they only sell to specific market segments, so I should think the larger might of China is a bigger existential threat to the traditional car manufacturers than Tesla is. That may change of course, but I'm making observations rather than predictions.

The car industry has been contracting, merging and changing dramatically all my 50+ years. If this continues, Tesla have an opportunity to acquire knowledge and skills they currently lack. If Tesla rest of their laurels, they may find China steals the opportunities.

And how much of that "profit" is government subsidies in the form of factories, tax breaks and grants? It's easy to make a profit when you get handouts, and yet Tesla has only recently managed to do it.

Lots of motor companies get tax breaks and grants.

Nissan got 100m

JLR were offered 500m.

Stellantis got 30m.

It's not like Tesla seem to be receiving benefits that others aren't getting?

No idea if these other companies are making a profit.

Lots of motor companies get tax breaks and grants.

Nissan got 100m

JLR were offered 500m.

Stellantis got 30m.

It's not like Tesla seem to be receiving benefits that others aren't getting?

No idea if these other companies are making a profit.

As far as I know, Tesla, despite the subsidies, just manages 10bn profit last year; it was their first year of profit.

Muck is on record saying that if they don't manage self driving Tesla is worthless.

CXRAndy

Guru
As far as I know, Tesla, despite the subsidies, just manages 10bn profit last year; it was their first year of profit.

Muck is on record saying that if they don't manage self driving Tesla is worthless.

Maybe , but I don't think like that. Just pleased he has started the BEV revolution as main stream transport.

CXRAndy

Guru
Yes he invested something like $6 million in the early 2000s. The board made him CEO thereafter. Wise move looking back

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Saw an article on the news today about Charging for those who have no drive but are able to park in front of the house, scheme where they run the cable along a small covered tench from home to the road.No idea what you are going to do if someone parks in your spot though 🤔

classic33

Leg End Member

He's also on record as saying that the Texas production plant is a "money pit", a loss maker that he's to keep going to back his North American sales plans.

CXRAndy

Guru
He's also on record as saying that the Texas production plant is a "money pit", a loss maker that he's to keep going to back his North American sales plans.

It's the early days of scaling up production.

This year Tesla Texas has tripled the work force to over 12000 employees. Must be doing something right

This is the global strategy to reach 2 million cars per year.

The profit per car is nearly ten times the likes of VW, five times Toyota- vertical integration when done smartly results in very profitable business model.

Coupled with virtually no debt, Tesla is far better placed to take on legacy brands

Yes he invested something like $6 million in the early 2000s. The board made him CEO thereafter. Wise move looking back

It may have looked that way until he had to resign in 2018 to deal with fraud charges. He ended up stepping down as chairman for three years (Although he somehow remained the CEO) and was fined 20 million US $.

And at that point, Tesla hadn't made a profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom