Are you a honker?

How do you attack hills?

• Stay in the saddle and spin

• Get out and grind

• Walk

Results are only viewable after voting.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

anothersam

SMIDSMe
(Raises hand.)

9T3msxC.jpg

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I mix it up, usually honking on the steepest bits.

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Your poll is flawed, theres no option for those of us that mix it up and do both, sometimes I sit and spin, sometimes I stand and honk.
The poll isn't scientific. (It's a lark.) I never expected anyone to always do one or the other. Some people avoid getting out of the saddle at all cost: others, like me, get out at almost any excuse for a hill. I'm merely asking which way predominates.

Last edited:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Why do you think you changed?
Short answer:
Lower gearing.

Long answer:
I'm doing much more long-distance riding now with a lot of climbing. Honking is great if you are doing a short rides with a big climb or two and your legs change to generate strength. I'm doing much longer stuff, which means that I need far more of those slow-twitch fibres and have consequentially lost a bit of outright strength. So it suits me better to sit and spin and get up faster, as opposed to standing, honking, and just getting there.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I spin now, but when I started I would spin and invariably walk. Sometimes it felt like I was walking more than I was on the dam thing.:laugh:

Drago

Legendary Member
I used to honk very enthusiastically and wiggle my pert lycra clad tushie for the ladies to admire. For reasons not known I no longer do - I seem to keep my firm, peach-like behind in the saddle as I grind away these days. Not a conscious decision, just the way my riding style has changed over time.

A point of order - to a squaddie "honking" is vernacular for bitching or complaining, so do not be surprised if you get a filthy look if you ask a squaddie why they honk so much.

Top Bottom