Are you a honker?

How do you attack hills?

• Stay in the saddle and spin

• Get out and grind

• Walk

Results are only viewable after voting.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DSK

I look like a liability out of the saddle (need to practise more) so I stay seated and spin.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Short answer:
Lower gearing.

Long answer:
I'm doing much more long-distance riding now with a lot of climbing. Honking is great if you are doing a short rides with a big climb or two and your legs change to generate strength. I'm doing much longer stuff, which means that I need far more of those slow-twitch fibres and have consequentially lost a bit of outright strength. So it suits me better to sit and spin and get up faster, as opposed to standing, honking, and just getting there.
I think this is a good answer !
Likewise if i am planning a long one i will sit and spin but naturally i am more of a grind it out rider based on my physiology i am never going to keep up with a proper climber.This photo from last year shows me at the front with a ride mate called "phil the hill" , as you can imagine there is no way i am going to keep up with him wih it goes skywards but when we have to grind through a head wind guess who takes the lead? work to your strengths but keep working at your weaknesses

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
In answer to the question ... it depends on the hill.

Some hills are just to steep for me to do anything other than grind my way up slowly. I'd love to be able to say that I "spin" up hills but dragging my bulk up a 10% or steeper hill ... it just ain't gonna happen. Select bottom gear, switch to dogged survival mode, and stand on the pedals every now and then for a different kind of misery.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Uswd to honk it on the road bike, but a bit tricky on an MTB with full sus
This. Road bike and hardtail I'll honk occasionally, maybe over a short steep section but on the full-sus I stay seated as honking just feels unproductive.

Interestingly the full-sus and hardtail are climbing the same segments at around the same pace - they weigh about the same and I am riding them on consecutive days. I was surprised how well the full-sus climbed.

Like a lot of people are saying I mix it up. If its a hill I don't know I'll spin as long as possible and may stand up near the top. If its a longer hill and I'm in a group I'll 'size up' the group and mostly stay seated but may stand up if I need that extra wee bit. A short hill or a hill climb will see me attack it and mostly up and a really long hill see's me up and down and up and down, etc (although its more down than up these days).

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
In answer to the question ... it depends on the hill.

Some hills are just to steep for me to do anything other than grind my way up slowly. I'd love to be able to say that I "spin" up hills but dragging my bulk up a 10% or steeper hill ... it just ain't gonna happen. Select bottom gear, switch to dogged survival mode, and stand on the pedals every now and then for a different kind of misery.
What happens when you run out of gears?

Top Bottom