Are you a honker?

How do you attack hills?

• Stay in the saddle and spin

• Get out and grind

• Walk

Results are only viewable after voting.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Not exactly, is it just getting out of the saddle, or getting out to the point where you have to stop as you cannot go any further, not one I have ever come across, is it colloquial to your area?

I think you're confusing honking with bonking, it's an easy mistake.

D

Deleted member 26715

I think you're confusing honking with bonking, it's an easy mistake.
At my age I have no use for either

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
What happens when you run out of gears?
You realise that you have to do something about it before the next time you go up that hill! :okay:

My Cannondale used to have a bottom gear of 39/29, which wasn't low enough for me so I put a triple chainset on. I also bought some different cassettes which had slightly bigger big sprockets. My lowest gear is now 28/30 and I can get up almost anything on that. 25+% is tough but in that gear I can laugh at 15%!

My singlespeed bike's ratio is 52/19 and in that gear I have no choice but to stand up and 'honk' on anything steeper than about 7-8%, and walk on anything steeper than 12% (or more than about 250 metres of 10%).

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
You realise that you have to do something about it before the next time you go up that hill! :okay:

My Cannondale used to have a bottom gear of 39/29, which wasn't low enough for me so I put a triple chainset on. I also bought some different cassettes which had slightly bigger big sprockets. My lowest gear is now 28/30 and I can get up almost anything on that. 25+% is tough but in that gear I can laugh at 15%!

My singlespeed bike's ratio is 52/19 and in that gear I have no choice but to stand up and 'honk' on anything steeper than about 7-8%, and walk on anything steeper than 12% (or more than about 250 metres of 10%).
My Cube is currently 30/34 and I am going to change it to 30/42 ( if possible ) as soon as my lbs reopens.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I currently run 1:1 (34/34) bottom gear. I went from a slightly higher 32/34 a couple of years ago. It does me for most things, unless I'm particularly knackered, in which case I walk. I tend to go straight to bottom gear, do not pass go, do not collect £200, as soon as any hill gets nasty.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I had 32 chain ring 34 biggest cog for a while when I did bigger distances. People walking could overtake as I spun up steep hills,Honking uses more energy than spinning .

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Always known it as dancing
Reminds me of a book:
zevwPaQ.jpg

figbat

Slippery scientist
Best I have is on-road 34F:28R - I have ground out some very low cadence, wobbly ascents but I'm just too stubborn to walk.

Some time ago I was grinding out a long climb offroad alongside someone in a similar predicament. At that a jogger overtook us, at which the other rider exclaimed "well, that was embarrassing".

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
This. Road bike and hardtail I'll honk occasionally, maybe over a short steep section but on the full-sus I stay seated as honking just feels unproductive.

Interestingly the full-sus and hardtail are climbing the same segments at around the same pace - they weigh about the same and I am riding them on consecutive days. I was surprised how well the full-sus climbed.

Same when compared to a rigid 90's MTB - just as fast. If I want to honk it, I'll lock it out, but not worth it. You can't honk when the going is rough, only on a smooth climb.

Top Bottom