As a 22mph average cyclist just commuting with very little effort, I admit..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
For the benefit of those not on Strava, the lady rode her first 50 mile TT. 2:17 elapsed, 50.07 miles, average speed of 22.1 mph & 182W average power. Most impressive, well done to her!
An old riding bud of mine, who races a bit himself, went out this morning. 17.3 miles in 46 minutes elapsed. But then, unlike the OP, he doesn't have to cope with the weight and drag of a big head and a chip on his shoulder.....

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
For the benefit of those not on Strava, the lady rode her first 50 mile TT. 2:17 elapsed, 50.07 miles, average speed of 22.1 mph & 182W average power. Most impressive, well done to her...

Good going, although as alluded to earlier I wonder how anyone could keep up 22mph on a bike on 50 miles of open roads without crashing.

I suppose there may have been marshals.

Sharky

Guru
Good going, although as alluded to earlier I wonder how anyone could keep up 22mph on a bike on 50 miles of open roads without crashing.

I suppose there may have been marshals.
Most open events start very early (6am not unusual) before most humans are even awake and very little traffic about.

Globalti

Legendary Member
That's a hell of an achievement. I can TT a hilly windy triangular 10 mile course in 29 minutes 20, so just over 20 mph. I certainly couldn't keep that pace up for 20 miles let alone 50. I wonder how much difference a TT bike and kit would make over my bog standard road bike.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I just did a rough calculation and my fastest commute is just over 17mph door to door. That takes in a reasonable hill, traffic lights including a toucan crossing, several roundabouts and a bit of psyclepath. Cruising speed possibly 20mph on a good day but overall speed nowhere near that.

Rocky

Hello decadence
I just did a rough calculation and my fastest commute is just over 17mph door to door. That takes in a reasonable hill, traffic lights including a toucan crossing, several roundabouts and a bit of psyclepath. Cruising speed possibly 20mph on a good day but overall speed nowhere near that.
Not in @inuke ‘s league, I’m afraid. You are going to have to try harder :tongue:

vickster

Legendary Member
Idly wondering how you had formed an idea about where they are, i just realised that this is the semi literate bike washing bod. Enough said.
Because he previously posted a strava track which showed the A10 somewhere in the wilds of North London. Can’t recall if was the bike washing nonsense thread

That's a hell of an achievement. I can TT a hilly windy triangular 10 mile course in 29 minutes 20, so just over 20 mph. I certainly couldn't keep that pace up for 20 miles let alone 50. I wonder how much difference a TT bike and kit would make over my bog standard road bike.
Training has intervened and is probably a bigger factor but on our local 10 I was just under 27.5mins with my road bike, got that down to around 27mins with clip ons. Then just over 26mins with some mods to the road bike frame (disc wheel cover, forward facing seatpost, TT bars). Then with a TT bike and helmet etc my course pb 24mins 46s. Its a hard course, our local pro cant beat 20mins on it (he has on every other 10 he's raced) and my absolute PB on a faster course is 23mins 57s, the aero stuff will probably be worth more on such a course as my power was down. The winners will do 19 minutes (circa 31.5mph) on that course :ohmy: :notworthy:

si_c

Guru
My fastest 10mph is just under 22mph moving average on a flat commute - with a fair tailwind and I got a tow from a truck for a while - I averaged about 320w for the run, so it is possible, but certainly wasn't a regular occurence - traffic lights and junctions will see to that in short order. My average both way commute speed was around 18mph.

And I know that there are a lot of riders who are a lot quicker than me - so whilst I'm sceptical that the OP is serious I'm not scoffing. As for @derrick's friend - that's a proper good effort and nicely done - certainly I couldn't do it.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
My fastest 10mph is just under 22mph moving average on a flat commute - with a fair tailwind and I got a tow from a truck for a while - I averaged about 320w for the run, so it is possible, but certainly wasn't a regular occurence - traffic lights and junctions will see to that in short order. My average both way commute speed was around 18mph.

. As for @derrick's friend - that's a proper good effort and nicely done - certainly I couldn't do it.

There was a time i could stay with her on a flatish route, But she was a bit slower back then,^_^ She trains 6 days a week. Running swimming and riding.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Training has intervened and is probably a bigger factor but on our local 10 I was just under 27.5mins with my road bike, got that down to around 27mins with clip ons. Then just over 26mins with some mods to the road bike frame (disc wheel cover, forward facing seatpost, TT bars). Then with a TT bike and helmet etc my course pb 24mins 46s. Its a hard course, our local pro cant beat 20mins on it (he has on every other 10 he's raced) and my absolute PB on a faster course is 23mins 57s, the aero stuff will probably be worth more on such a course as my power was down. The winners will do 19 minutes (circa 31.5mph) on that course :ohmy: :notworthy:

Out of interest, what makes you local 10 a "hard" course? Is it hilly?

Top Bottom