As a 22mph average cyclist just commuting with very little effort, I admit..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
Out of interest, what makes you local 10 a "hard" course? Is it hilly?
Generally a hard course is indeed a hilly course. One where you keep having to change gear. Every time you climb, you lose time and never get it fully back on the descents.
Road surfaces also make a difference.

A hard/float morning is usually a factor of weather and wind or lack of it.
Then you have course design which can have a "gift" start or finish - one where there is a descent in one direction only.
And what I call "Honest" courses, where the start and finish are almost opposite each other so hills and wind are average out over the course.

Down here, the "Q" courses are all hard courses and the "E" courses are all fast.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes, headwinds and hills.... you never get back what you lost.

What do you mean by Q and E courses? Sorry, I'm not a TT expert.

Sharky

Guru
All
Yes, headwinds and hills.... you never get back what you lost.

What do you mean by Q and E courses? Sorry, I'm not a TT expert.
All tt courses are given a prefix and a number. The prefix represents the district. Q is kent and E is essex.

There should be a list of all courses on the cycling time trials web site.

Cheers keith

Ps all originates from the days when racing on the highway was frowned on and cyclists used special codes to indicate where the course was. You had to wear all black so as you didnt stand out.
A bit before my time, but was in the days my dad rode.

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Far as i know its with a power meter the guy on the bike told me (hes an ex sprinter) his max power can be over 1800 watts?

Thanks, the reason I was asking is that the readings looked a little weird and at times too high for what seemed to be fairly flat terrain in a group, maybe there is also some smoothing going on.

CXRAndy

Guru
The stats were slightly out with sync to the video. but you could see the numbers were spot on for a very lively club run.

My local TT course is rolling hills with 390ft of climbing, Our fastest guys cant beat 20mins.
The course record was recently set by some fella called Adam Duggleby with a long 19 mins;)
Its a rough surface with surface chipping and littered with cracks and small potholes. It does require a bit of attention not to puncture

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
Nice to see a group who know how to ride together. Unfortunately, it is a rarity these days.

Although the rider just in front of the camera bike for the first 1'10" of the clip (and I guess a lot more of the ride besides) had his hands in the centre of the bars......while the group was riding in fairly close formation at 20-25mph on a winding narrowish road (hedges limiting field of view) with plenty of opportunities to encounter potential hazards requiring emergency braking. Hands on the levers or drops in such circumstances, please!

CXRAndy

Guru
The local club run winds up to 29mph on the flat. If you lose the slipstream, you won't see them again that day. It's no fun.

The only time ive experience of rapid group speeds was in the Tour of Cambridge, where the first 40 miles I managed to hang onto fast groups to average 24mph, from then on my average dropped away to 21mph for the whole event

Top Bottom