As a cyclist who do you dislike the most?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajay

Veteran
Actually I was saving James Martin for the big finish, think I will play Gregg Wallace first.
I've got a Heston up my sleeve, and I'm not afraid to play it.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
1983579 said:
To summarise for you. Why should he slow down just because he is in a park where children might play and people exercise dogs? They should all keep out of his way, Scum that they are

Why don't you let it drop old man. You're beginning to sound obssesive!:hello:

Ajay

Veteran
Is that safe? It's probably armed with dry ice, blowtorches, and a parcel of hagfish.
I agree, it is high risk, but still far safer than playing the nuclear option - my Ferran Adrià joker.

My pet hate is mobile phone users though (when driving). I stopped besides a woman at some traffic lights the other day who as on her phone, pointed at it and she didnt even know what she was doing wrong. I didnt bother 'educating' her because my lights changed anyway.

One thing that I like is when someone gives me plenty of room when behind and overtaking. I always make sure to either give them a polite toot of the horm or to give a 'thumbs up' gesture and say "thank you".
+1

On shared use paths I'm inclined to give way and slow down quite a lot for kids and dogs and other peds come to that. They are after all shared use. I don't think we as cyclists do ourselves any favours if we treat these as our own exclusive express ways and people out for a stroll with the kids or a dog shouldn't have to worry about looking over their shoulder all the time in case one of us is barreling through at a rate of knots.
I slow down, cover the brakes and give them a lot of room, even go onto the grass if necessary. Doing these things has ensured that kids and dogs leaping out hasn't been an issue for me. I imagine that the parents or owners might one day be driving their car and be more inclined to give me or another cyclist some space. I have realised it is impossible to tell drivers how to behave and that all I can do is set an example that I hope others will follow.
This is simply an explanation of how I deal with shared use and is not in any way a critisism of what you do. For all I know you do everything that I have said and have still had people getting shirty with you so I am not trying to pass judgement. Doing what I do can be aggravating when the path is busy and when people don't say thanks or even aknowledge you but for me it's worth it in the long run.
Just editing to add that I was assuming you meant on shared paths but have realised you didn't specify. On cycle paths and the road I completely expect peds and animals to be under control. I've certainly had near misses with peds who look at me as if it were my fault they weren't paying attention and it is very annoying. Sorry for what on reading back looks like a lecture.
+1 Should be embraced in all walks of life.

Top Bottom