Asking for thread to be locked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm just curious about this. I've not really seen this approach before where an OP asks for a thread to be locked because it has drifted off topic. I've not got an issue with this but it does strike me as kind of unusual in the online/forum world. Not least because thread drift is kind of what forum users almost always do.

There was an interesting discussion on pets which got me curious about this. A fairly common event imho where the original subject matter gets lost by the thread drift.

I've read very interesting threads that came about by thread drift so why stop that organic flow. You never know what might come out, what grabs your attention. Is it not better to let things flow where they will or should we all stick to the topic? What's your view on this?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I think you're right, threads that develop in a different direction are very often more interesting than the original subject. Nothing wrong with that. The only time a thread is locked is when people get abusive or the discussion gets out of hand.
So the only thread lock I'll be advocating is the blue stuff in a tube.

Alex321

Veteran
When I was a mod in a different place, one of the forum rules explicitly stated that we did not delete or lock threads on request.

And we quite regularly pointed out that the OP was not the thread owner, they could not determine which direction a thread might take.

classic33

Leg End Member
When I was a mod in a different place, one of the forum rules explicitly stated that we did not delete or lock threads on request.

And we quite regularly pointed out that the OP was not the thread owner, they could not determine which direction a thread might take.
Someone other than the OP was complaining that it didn't, in their opinion, belong in the section that it was posted in. Suggesting the area it should have been started in, in their opinion.

I believe it may have been locked to prevent it getting personal.

PK99

Legendary Member
Let's start discussing a different subject in this thread and see how it goes.

PIZZA TOPPINGS ?

Stuffed crust takeaway, anyone?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
anything with a frankfurter in the crust is an abomination.

although the poster in question objected as it has drifted away from "personal matters" to "pets" - this is all general chat cafe stuff anyway so it may not offend anyone's sensibilities

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
i bought a pizza once that supposedly had a crust stuffed with cheese. I love cheese so naturally i was very excited. I'm not sure if the makers know what cheese is because the yellow stretchy stuff in the crust was not cheese as I know it 👎

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom