Assaulted on Finchley Rd...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Very nice of the company to come on here and apologise and all, but it was an employee that did this, not the whole business.

No word of re-education, discipline, 'they won't be doing it again' or 'have seen the error of their ways' etc. <sigh>

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
As I haven't seem the video, I am in a position to comment, objectively, only about the way that both parties have handled the situation; to be clear, I am not commenting about the incident itself.

I reported this incident to the police and will keep you all posted as to the outcome. Probably best if I don't say anything more at this stage.
It's a bit late to come over all coy don't you think? You've posted your recording on a public video sharing website and your version of events on a public cycling forum.

Thanks. I'm not worried, I just cannot understand on what basis the YouTube censors thought it appropriate to remove the video. Obviously the complaint was from Atkinson Mcleod but just because it was very bad PR for them, I do not think that the video breached any guidelines.
Your post stated that it was an "assault" in the title; this is an, as yet, unproven criminal allegation.

I notice that AM have also removed all of the comments about this incident from their Facebook page.
Their public acknowledgement of the incident and comment either way could be interpreted as prejudicing the position of their motor insurers: the transfer of (financial) responsibility under a contract of insurance, also involves the transfer of the right of reply (i.e. if you expect me to pick up the bill, then let me do the talking).

Ultimately this is to your advantage: if you are awarded damages, the insurer could avoid responsibility, leaving you to pursue a claim against AM through the civil courts.

Interesting that AM is not prepared, whether on FB, YouTube or their own webpage to make a public statement condemning the threatening and abusive behaviour of their employee. Nor are they willing to say what "appropriate actions" they have taken.

i) They should publicly castigate their employee on your say-so? By your own admission, aspects of the incident are not immediately apparent: "...you can't see it on the video but..."

ii) If there is a transfer of responsibility for the financial consequences for the incident to the insurers of AM, then there is also a transfer of the right of reply to them: I shoot my mouth off, but you get a bloody nose?

Me thinks that perhaps they are not taking this very seriously at all and are simply interested in the negative PR....

Me thinks that, regardless of the rights and wrongs of the incident, if you had devoted as much effort to reporting this to the Police in a timely fashion as you have to posting the video on Youtube and arguing the toss with unconcerned parties on CycleChat, then you would have a much stronger case.

sabian92

Über Member
Me thinks that, regardless of the rights and wrongs of the incident, if you had devoted as much effort to reporting this to the Police in a timely fashion as you have to posting the video on Youtube and arguing the toss with unconcerned parties on CycleChat, then you would have a much stronger case.

...And a potential conviction more to the point.

dawesome

How many minutes of effort did it take him to report it to the police compared with his posts on here?

dawesome

My point exactly!

You have no idea what the answer is, you're posting rubbish.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
You have no idea what the answer is, you're posting rubbish.
And your point is?
Excuse me Dawesome, what you wrote is ambiguous and I read it as endorsing my opinion.

My point is that rather than posting a thread on a forum and a video on Youtube, the OP would have been better served by making an immediate complaint to the Police.

The actions of the OP and their delay in making a complaint have not improved their position and can only have prejudiced it.

scilly's trolling. I'm getting fed up with idiot trolls on here.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Top Bottom