At the desk opposite mine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
laurence said:
i can see pigeons from my window

Youve got windows :tongue::wacko::ohmy:
FFS, we havnt any in our workshop. I spend the day wondering what its like outside....sunny ? snowing ?....the only clue we get is the rain hammering on the roof....
On the plus side, leave the workshop to go to the factory, i gets to see daylight for..ooooh, 30 seconds or so ;)

squaaaaaaaaaaab!!!

a friend and i once found a squab down the local high street. it was a lovely sunny sunday afternoon and it was squawking away and in a real panic. we couldn't see any nest to put it back and there were no pigeons around... so we were at a slight loss as what to do and we didn't want to leave it to fry in the sun. i managed to calm it down by using my Oakleys, the reflection fooled it into thinking a sibling was close...

1323042887_3c59badf14.jpg

we managed to get a box to put it in... and ripped up some free newspapers to line it. alas, the only place open that could give us a box was... KFC!

we placed the squab-burger under some nearby foliage and hoped for the best. i suspect it was fox food in the evening.

longers

Legendary Member
Ingenious about using your sunnies to create the illusion of siblings ;).
That is excellent thinking.

laurence said:
it was pretty obvious it wouldn't last long, so i thought i'd try and calm it down as it was clearly upset.
Wah! I hate finding baby birds like that. The last one was almost fully fledged and was being patted by our elderly cat. I separated bird from cat and left it under a shrub. It had vanished some time later so I'm hopeful that it survived.
Poor squab. I like pigeons....;)

snorri

Legendary Member
laurence said:
so i thought i'd try and calm it down as it was clearly upset.

I think it might have been better to put the box the other way up in order to keep the bird in the dark. Of course you would need to tear a bit off the box to provide an escape route, but darkness usually calms stressed birds.:tongue:

after we put him in the box we took him around the corner where there are some trees and bushes and put him there... in the shade. pigeons regularly feed near there, so we hoped the parents might be around. i also went back a few minutes later and put some bread near the squab in the hope it would attract pigeons and they might feed it.

last time i saw the little mite it was sleeping under some low leaves, having clambered out of the box. alas, there were no pigeons around and the bread hadn't attracted any.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
simon l& and a half said:
You lucky dog! Send pics!!!!!!

Why? Was it one of yours? :evil:

Here is a 360 degree Panorama which manages to make it look really nice... my building is in the centre, the one opposite me (and the cherry tree) are on the left (and right!)

merz-exterior.jpg

Actually our building (and the one opposite) would have been better if they'd left the original wooden fittings and furniture much of which was constructed by the Swan Hunter shipyards during a lull in normal business (as I write I am sitting in one of the low armchairs which I rescued from a skip and took home...) - as a whole it had some integrity - despite the absolutely useless windows and ability to be boiling in summer and freezing in winter on one side of the building and the opposite on the other.

Plus the buildings appear to have been designed by someone who seemed to want people to feel lost and unwanted, and because they almost fell down a few years after they were built, they had to have extra steel beams put in to hold them together which means they had to construct extra stairs over the beams, which now makes them totally inconvenient for disabled people... no, I'm sorry there's not a lot to be said for them.

Funnily enough the architecture side of the department seem to be quite happy in the lovely Victorian quad and would prefer to leave the 60s stuff to us...

Top Bottom