Audax touring/bikepacking gravel/adventure bike recommendations please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
I've been riding for nearly 5 years, I have a 4 yo Merida Ride Lite Juliet 94 44cm Shim105 upgraded to a 11-32 rear casette to help on hills that I have done 200km audax on and toured the west coast of Scotland and islands for 2 weeks with panniers (hostels/BnB not camping) I have also just bought a Trek Xcaliber 8 mountain bike and bikepacked with panniers the Cairngorms loop a few weeks ago. I'm 52, height 160cm and already have a 10 yr old knee replacement and nurse healed prolapsed discs. I also ride a 5yo Pinnacle Neon 2 for commutes/utility cycling and it was my starter bike that's still going strong, relatively light for a hybrid. I did my first 100km on that bike.

I ride about 150km a week, mainly 100km audax, club rides plus commutes on the Neon. I average 21km/h on road generally so I am slow even if I do get there eventually, I'm a plodder uphill and a nervous descender due to eyesight issues.. It's hard enough to find ride buddies for longer rides at my speed so I do not want to be slowed down anymore than is necessary.

I'd like something in between, that goes off piste, copes with mucky foul winter roads, audax, touring and general club riding. Must have:
Small frame 44 up to 48cm absolute max so many bikes ruled out as they start at 50cm.
Disc brakes (been blown over by them on my Trek xcaliber)
Hill gears towards mtb range but can't decide if a single or triple is most appropriate!
Take rugged tyres up to 40, probs 32-34
Not too heavy (so not Surly, Dawes, Ridgeback, Genesis, Ribble CGR etc)
Take rack and mudguards
Not be pink/purple!!!
Budget around £1000, could go higher if perfect, can't claim cycle to work scheme

Friends have come up with these ideas:
Spa Cycles Wayfarer (but think a little heavy)
Planet X London Road
Pinnacle Arkose 4
dismissed Ribble CGR

What else should I look at? I would prefer I could buy locally and get the very important bike fit given my skeletal issues If online I would get a bike fit but would need to budget for stem, saddle changes etc

I’ve racked up over 12,000 miles on a CAADX over the past few years including a LEJOG.

It’s incredibly comfortable and I think would be perfect for your needs.

https://www.evanscycles.com/cannond...MIrZv9-rbV3AIVTWUZCh22rQ_dEAQYASABEgLgBfD_BwE

Ignore the numpty in the Questions/Answers section who incorrectly answers the question on rack mounts. This frame does come with rack mounts and is plenty strong enough. Nobody does aluminium frames better than Cannondale.

Graham

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You could also consider one of the Kona range like the Rove:
https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/road-bikes-c5/road-c37/rove-dl-road-bike-2018-p18835
Goes down to a 48.

Or if you want their full on tourer how about the Sutra, this looks like its been reduced for the 48 & 46 sizes, a good deal and all the bits you want included:
https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/road-bikes-c5/touring-c41/sutra-touring-road-bike-2018-p18836

I'd prefer a steel frame but that's a personal preference and its going to be a wee bit heavier but that shouldn't bother your too much.

I see that Triton also have the Cinelli tourer in XS as well:
https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/road-bikes-c5/touring-c41/gazzetta-della-strada-bike-p15955

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fiona R

Fiona R

I’ve racked up over 12,000 miles on a CAADX over the past few years including a LEJOG.

It’s incredibly comfortable and I think would be perfect for your needs.

https://www.evanscycles.com/cannond...MIrZv9-rbV3AIVTWUZCh22rQ_dEAQYASABEgLgBfD_BwE

Ignore the numpty in the Questions/Answers section who incorrectly answers the question on rack mounts. This frame does come with rack mounts and is plenty strong enough. Nobody does aluminium frames better than Cannondale.

Graham
@Heltor Chasca found this link for me too, my only concern being I want more spinny gears for steep hills with my knees and luggage, 105 is exactly what I have on my current bike.

But do you have the 46/36 chainset it has? This will reduce the gearing quite a lot from the standard 50/34 and you could add an 11-34 cassette as well. I run a 46/30 with an 11-34 to help with rheumatic knees and it does well most of the time (some Welsh lanes reduce me to walking occasionally). For loaded touring I'd want something lower again (not that I do that anymore, hence my current set-up).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fiona R

Fiona R

You could also consider one of the Kona range like the Rove:
https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/road-bikes-c5/road-c37/rove-dl-road-bike-2018-p18835
Goes down to a 48.

Or if you want their full on tourer how about the Sutra, this looks like its been reduced for the 48 & 46 sizes, a good deal and all the bits you want included:
https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/road-bikes-c5/touring-c41/sutra-touring-road-bike-2018-p18836

I'd prefer a steel frame but that's a personal preference and its going to be a wee bit heavier but that shouldn't bother your too much.

I see that Triton also have the Cinelli tourer in XS as well:
https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/road-bikes-c5/touring-c41/gazzetta-della-strada-bike-p15955

Good luck.
First two look like further research would be worth it on my part, would like to find out weight. Last one xs is 50 so too big. Thank you very much for links, will look properly on desktop.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Cranky Knee Girl have a chat with Lee Cooper and get him to build a frame set for you

OP
OP
Fiona R

Fiona R

But do you have the 46/36 chainset it has? This will reduce the gearing quite a lot from the standard 50/34 and you could add an 11-34 cassette as well. I run a 46/30 with an 11-34 to help with rheumatic knees and it does well most of the time (some Welsh lanes reduce me to walking occasionally). For loaded touring I'd want something lower again (not that I do that anymore, hence my current set-up).
My husband spent ages last night explaining the ratios, I think I need something less than 1:1 which is what you have suggested, I think. I'm quite good at maths normally but all the varying terminologies for front ring and back ring ate confusing me. So your best climbing gear is 30/34?

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
Have you had a look at the Felt VRW range of bikes? I'd suggest taking a look at the VRW40 or VRW6 - Tiagra rather than 105, but both have Hydraulic discs, and will take Mudguards with 32c tyres plenty of clearance without mudguards. I have the VR50 as my main bike and think it's great.

Also has sub 1:1 gearing - 46/30 at the front and 11/32 at the back - although you can probably drop that to a 34 at the back without problems. Given you have said that you are not likely to be hammering descents and plod uphill, I'd say that gearing range probably suits you quite well.

The VRW40 should be able to take a rear rack with the adapter kit, but have you considered bikepacking bags instead of panniers? Might be easier to use with a smaller frame as well as you won't be worried too much about hitting your heels on the pannier.

My husband spent ages last night explaining the ratios, I think I need something less than 1:1 which is what you have suggested, I think. I'm quite good at maths normally but all the varying terminologies for front ring and back ring ate confusing me. So your best climbing gear is 30/34?
Yes, that's right - using old fashioned inches to describe gearing, bottom gear is 24" and top gear is 114". Top gear gives me 30mph on the flat, preferably with a tail wind, and isn't used that often - useful to keep your knees turning on a long downhill. A 50 or bigger chainwheel would be wasted on me and compromise on the lower gears I want. My most used range is around 60", which sits me nicely in the middle of the 46 chainwheel at about 16mph, or towards the top of the 30 chainwheel if I'm riding undulating lanes - both equally usable.
On my triple touring set up, I had a low of 18" but unless you were loaded up or the hill was 25%, this wasn't needed (although handy when exhausted!).
I use this calculator which gives hours of entertainment (you can add two tables by clicking on 'compare').
http://www.gear-calculator.com/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fiona R

Fiona R

Just an update, I was waiting for the new Ribble CGR Al to come out, finally in xs size but was very worried about buying sight unseen without a huge journey and any subbing and bike fit extra of course.

I went into two local bike shops again last Sat as wind stopped play on the audax I was on.

A Scott Contessa Speedster 15 was suggested, they had a 2018 model xs in sale, so I have 11-34 105 (BW subbed out foc from 11-32) with 50-34 Lightweight alloy, full mudguards, carbon forks/seatpost and takes full panniers.

Hydraulic disc brakes and also subbed continental touring 32 tyres foc, two free waterbottle holdres but most importantly a full free bike fit which resulted in bars being retaped too, all included. Got to ride it yesterday, unfortunately not on planned long ride as Storm Callum not playing ball, just a 45km local loop with a couple of hills. i had already purchased a new Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow saddle as I know they work for me.

Absolutely love it! Thank you BW cycling in Bristol; audax, crumby roads, lightweight trails and touring with such a different feel over the potholes and security from bigger tyres and those hydraulic discs compared to my Merida with 25s and rim brakes. Much better spec for my £1000 and invaluable fitting, and absolutely no condescending treatment which is so refreshing.

Top Bottom