Auntie Helen seeks touring partner...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
For those who have managed to read my ride reports and not nod off, you may have noticed that I rather took to cycle touring but decided that touring on my own wasn't optimal for me.

I'm wondering if any girlies out there feel that they might like to undertake a shortish tour of Germany (maybe the Romantic Rhine stretch which I didn't do on this tour) later in the year, maybe September? I was thinking a week, probably, or p'raps slightly longer.

Or if multiple people, of whatever gender, wished to do it - that would be excellent too!

HelenD123

Legendary Member
I've got some holiday left to use but I'd better see how I get on touring Scotland first...

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Auntie Helen said:
Well I was having some thoughts about trying to gather a little group for next May to do the Mosel as it was so luvverly. Who knows, something might come of it!

If you want luvverly, do the Romantische Strasse from Fussen to Wurzburg.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Would it be cheating if I followed you for me to travel on the train?;) Isn't it convenient the way the railway stays in the valleys? and lots of stations. :smile::angry:

I'm a boy, but count me in for a group trip. I've always fancied Germany, but I would be worried about the language barrier.

Lone Rider

Andy in Sig said:
If you want luvverly, do the Romantische Strasse from Fussen to Wurzburg.

Hi Andy,

I've regularly seen your posts recommending the Romantische Strasse and I have decided to follow your advise. Do you know where I can find a GPS track for the route? I realise that it is probably very well signposted, but I enjoy using the GPS.

Would you believe I have just bought a return ticket on a Ryanair flight to Memmingen for only TWO EUROS (tax free and with no extras). I will only take hand-baggage and pay the going rate for my bike a couple of days before I leave.

Thanks in advance,

Lone Rider

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Lone Rider said:
Hi Andy,

I've regularly seen your posts recommending the Romantische Strasse and I have decided to follow your advise. Do you know where I can find a GPS track for the route? I realise that it is probably very well signposted, but I enjoy using the GPS.

Would you believe I have just bought a return ticket on a Ryanair flight to Memmingen for only TWO EUROS (tax free and with no extras). I will only take hand-baggage and pay the going rate for my bike a couple of days before I leave.

Thanks in advance,

Lone Rider

Hello Lone Rider,

I'm really sorry but despite having one of the older generation GPS things myself, I've never looked at mapping (I only use mine to get a grid reference occasionally to confirm where I am). What I do recommend is the Bikeline guide Romantische Strasse ISBN 3-85000-036-2. These are particularly useful for the list of hotels etc at the back of the book and of course the mapping. Head into the middle of Memmingen and I'm sure you'll find a bookshop which has it. To get from Memmingen to Fussen I would recommend getting hold of one (poss two) of the Bavarian 1:50,000 maps or the ADFC (German national bike club) map of the area.

A tip: the RS route ends in Wurzburg. Go from Wurzburg along the R Main via Volkach (eat at the zur Schwane hotel) to Bamberg and book into Bamberg for a couple of nights. On the morning of your day there, take the train north to Lichtenfels and pedal up the hill to see the Vierzehnheiligen church, which is a knockout inside, better even than the Wieskirche which is on the RS route. Then just pedal back along the R Main route to Bamberg. Bamberg old town is one of those UNESCO sites, as are one or two spots on the RS route. Good luck. If I can be of any further help, let me know.

Top Bottom