Auto Insurance Companies

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Son had his car hit whilst outside his house, the other driver did the right thing & left details (son at work) asked son to get a couple of quotes & he'd pay directly, on getting the amount he said it would have to go through the insurance. No issues with son's insurance, they have arranged the work to be done & son get hire car whilst it's away being done. Today the drivers insurance has rung up offering to do it all for him, collect car, provide car, repair etc. he's not bothered either way who does it, presumably the drivers insurance want to do it as they save costs & not having to pay son's insurance companies administration fees.

Are there any gotcha's as to who to let do it?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
He's claiming on his own policy?

vickster

Legendary Member
My car got scraped quite badly in a carpark last year, and the other party didn't leave any details (and no CCTV) :angry::angry::angry:.

Having got a quote from the local body shop (about 2k :ohmy: ), I went through my insurance even though it'll increase my premium. I ended up going through insurer and manufacturer (Skoda) approved (sometimes the excess is different if you don't so check that) bodyshop. I had used them previously with no issues.
It took much longer than anticipated due to Covid backlogs (staff sickness, isolation etc) and no courtesy car (as they didn't have an automatic for me), but they collected and dropped off the car and did a very good job (I ended up paying a couple of hundred for the front door to be painted too as it had some chips and a ding and I wanted the best finish).

I've not had my renewal through yet...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Fairly standard process these days. My son's just had a wheel wrecked and his subframe from an axel falling off a truck (and other cars hit the bouncing metal). He's got the haulage company and details, just they are slow at getting back - they usually self insure to certain values, so he'll need a quote from the local garage.

Up to your son where it get's done. He shouldn't have to pay any excess if the other party admit fault - can be expensive for youngsters.

a.twiddler

Veteran
It's a racket, really. A few years ago my neighbour reversed into our car while it was parked on our drive (parallel, adjacent drives) and admitted fault immediately. It needed a new rear door and some panel work done. She offered to pay for it and so I got a quote from our local body shop but it was over £1000 and she had to get it done through the insurance. So as expected, her next premium went up. Using "Approved Repairers" is like giving the motor trade a licence to charge what they like as the insurance is paying.

I had protected No Claims on mine so I expected no problems. However my next renewal, even though I shopped around, went up. When I asked why, the person on the other end of the phone explained as if to a rather dim child that yes, my No Claims Bonus was not affected as it was a no fault accident (I was in bed asleep after a night shift at the time) and would have been the same if it had been my fault with the protected NCB but as there had been a claim, no matter whose fault it was, my premium would go up. My inner version of Google Translate interpreted this as, "Tough Titty, pal, we've got a monopoly, we make up the rules as we go along and we stick together. All you can do is suck it up, soldier". This claim followed me around for the next five years. I even had to declare it on my motorcycle insurance.

I had a second car for a short time but did the decade of of No Claims Bonuses cut any ice? No sir, you have to start from scratch. Together with the bike insurance, my total was over 20 years' worth of No Claims Bonuses but I just had to bend over and take it.

I am old enough to remember when insurance was something you didn't have to think about. It was there, it was cheap enough, you just bought it. Now there are so many terms and conditions, things like a courtesy car, insuring your belongings, do you want legal insurance, do you want to drive other cars etc were once just included but now everything is an optional extra. Third party only, Third party fire and theft, or Comprehensive. That was easy to understand, even for the likes of I.

All these years of being Mr careful, Mr law abiding, seem to count for nothing. I might just as well have enjoyed myself riding and driving like a raving nobber. There. Rant over. I feel soo much better now.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
It's a racket, really. A few years ago my neighbour reversed into our car while it was parked on our drive (parallel, adjacent drives) and admitted fault immediately. It needed a new rear door and some panel work done. She offered to pay for it and so I got a quote from our local body shop but it was over £1000 and she had to get it done through the insurance. So as expected, her next premium went up. Using "Approved Repairers" is like giving the motor trade a licence to charge what they like as the insurance is paying.

I had protected No Claims on mine so I expected no problems. However my next renewal, even though I shopped around, went up. When I asked why, the person on the other end of the phone explained as if to a rather dim child that yes, my No Claims Bonus was not affected as it was a no fault accident (I was in bed asleep after a night shift at the time) and would have been the same if it had been my fault with the protected NCB but as there had been a claim, no matter whose fault it was, my premium would go up. My inner version of Google Translate interpreted this as, "Tough Titty, pal, we've got a monopoly, we make up the rules as we go along and we stick together. All you can do is suck it up, soldier". This claim followed me around for the next five years. I even had to declare it on my motorcycle insurance.

I had a second car for a short time but did the decade of of No Claims Bonuses cut any ice? No sir, you have to start from scratch. Together with the bike insurance, my total was over 20 years' worth of No Claims Bonuses but I just had to bend over and take it.

I am old enough to remember when insurance was something you didn't have to think about. It was there, it was cheap enough, you just bought it. Now there are so many terms and conditions, things like a courtesy car, insuring your belongings, do you want legal insurance, do you want to drive other cars etc were once just included but now everything is an optional extra. Third party only, Third party fire and theft, or Comprehensive. That was easy to understand, even for the likes of I.

All these years of being Mr careful, Mr law abiding, seem to count for nothing. I might just as well have enjoyed myself riding and driving like a raving nobber. There. Rant over. I feel soo much better now.
Other than the environment your rant had a lot to do with me giving up my licence. The whole thing is a racket like so much of modernity.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Your son should only deal with his insurance company, not the other drivers.
Sadly, his policy will cost more on renewal and the claim will have to be declared (as 'no fault') for the next 3 to 5 years depending on the new ins company.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
To answer the question - the other parties insurance company will want to use their own repairers as they will be a bargain price and of questionable quality. In your situation I would insist that an approved bodyshop is used based on the manufacturer of your sons car (ask the dealer). That way you won't have an issue with bodywork warranty claims in the future. The other parties insurance company will try to dissuade you from doing this as it will cost them more money - they will promise that they can do everything with no hassle and paperwork, but the repair is often of a lower quality.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
No he's claiming on the other persons insurance, but he's started the claim against them via is own insurance company
The strict contractual procedure to follow would be to make a first party claim with your own insurer, if you have fully comp cover.
They then make a recovery against the third party on your behalf.

You have no direct contractual relationship with the third party so steer clear of them unless you only have third party cover.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
I would recommend just dealing with your own (son's) insurer rather than the 3rd party insurer.

On renewal you will have to report it but just make sure that you find an insurance company that differentiates between 'accident, not at fault' and 'damage to parked car' - i.e. an incident where someone was in the car and one where it was empty.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

To answer the question - the other parties insurance company will want to use their own repairers as they will be a bargain price and of questionable quality. In your situation I would insist that an approved bodyshop is used based on the manufacturer of your sons car (ask the dealer). That way you won't have an issue with bodywork warranty claims in the future. The other parties insurance company will try to dissuade you from doing this as it will cost them more money - they will promise that they can do everything with no hassle and paperwork, but the repair is often of a lower quality.

The strict contractual procedure to follow would be to make a first party claim with your own insurer, if you have fully comp cover.
They then make a recovery against the third party on your behalf.

You have no direct contractual relationship with the third party so steer clear of them unless you only have third party cover.

I would recommend just dealing with your own (son's) insurer rather than the 3rd party insurer.

On renewal you will have to report it but just make sure that you find an insurance company that differentiates between 'accident, not at fault' and 'damage to parked car' - i.e. an incident where someone was in the car and one where it was empty.
All valid points, TBH I'm surprised they haven't tried to write it off, it's a 1997 (I think) BMW 316 but it is low mileage & in very good condition, it's increasing in value, but the damage is around £700. He's told the drivers insurance it's all being dealt with by his own insurer, who has assured him they will be no premium increase due to the accident as it is being classed as a no fault claim. Now whether if he tries to move to another company that is still the case.

Jody

Stubborn git
Guaranteed to have a higher premium. Whilst he hasn't claimed, they will load his premium having been involved in an accident, irrelevant of having protected NCD

Top Bottom