1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B@$tard chainstay protector

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by jiggerypokery, 18 Sep 2007.

1. jiggerypokery

jiggerypokery Über Member

I stuck a carbon effect chainstay protector strip on my lovely lovely lovely PlanetX frame and the frigging thing has peeled away from the adhesive leaving a nasty sticky strip of crap on the chainstay.

Any ideas as to how to get this off without damaging the laquer coat or the carbon fibre?

2. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Try a hairdryer.

Or some aftershave.

3. OP
    OP
    jiggerypokery

Are you trying to say my bike is a Dorothy Mr Paul????

I may live in the wannabe suburb of Solihull where hairdressers are the new glitterati...but my bike is nails!

Will Issey Miyake be ok and do I need to use the volumiser attachment on the hairdrier?

4. GrahamG

GrahamG Über Member

;)

Or lighter fluid or maybe even WD40. Or Bryll Cream.

5. barq

barq Senior Member

What is your frame made of? I only ask because there are things I'd try with metal that I wouldn't with carbon.

Edit: Sorry I'm an idiot, you said it was carbon fibre... Very gently with a hairdryer. Does anyone know if isopropyl alcohol is ok on carbon fibre? I think it should be, but I'd want to be sure before recommending it!

6. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Well it worked when someone stuck a nazi sticker on the bonnet of our car.

7. Twenty Inch

Twenty Inch New Member

I would cut up an old tyre and secure it to the chainstay with a couple of zipties. Think of that - "Not only do I have a carbon bike, but I'm not too precious to ziptie bits of old tyre to it".

8. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

can you name and shame the maker of the mess?

9. asterix

asterix Comrade Member

I'd use white spirit. My only experience of this is on steel bikes but if carbon fibre or finish thereon can't take a bit of white spirit it ain't nails.

10. WD40 will get it off and will not effect the resin.

11. OP
    OP
    jiggerypokery

I should have known better...and you will all pillory me for my foolishness....

The maker/supplier if the crappy carbon-looky-likey chainstay protector was...Halfrauds!

Having said that the cable rub patches are absolutely fine so I assume the radius of the chain stay is too tight and that the actual protective layer can't cope with the radius and has delaminated from the sticky stuff.

WD40 worked a treat!

12. Maggot

Maggot Star of BBC 5Lives Ballot Box Brigade

If this happens again, simply use an abrasive attachment on a power drill, it'll be off in seconds, not that I'm jealous you have a lovely carbon bike, oh no, just being helpful:sad:

13. giant man

giant man New Member

You tried simple lighter fluid? Shouldn't damage anything ie lacquer or carbon.

14. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

you should leave it on as a lesson for the future

why stick tacky shoot onto something you like?

tsk