B@$tard chainstay protector

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jiggerypokery

Über Member
I stuck a carbon effect chainstay protector strip on my lovely lovely lovely PlanetX frame and the frigging thing has peeled away from the adhesive leaving a nasty sticky strip of crap on the chainstay.

Any ideas as to how to get this off without damaging the laquer coat or the carbon fibre?

OP
OP
jiggerypokery

jiggerypokery

Über Member
Are you trying to say my bike is a Dorothy Mr Paul????

I may live in the wannabe suburb of Solihull where hairdressers are the new glitterati...but my bike is nails!

Will Issey Miyake be ok and do I need to use the volumiser attachment on the hairdrier?

barq

What is your frame made of? I only ask because there are things I'd try with metal that I wouldn't with carbon.

Edit: Sorry I'm an idiot, you said it was carbon fibre... Very gently with a hairdryer. Does anyone know if isopropyl alcohol is ok on carbon fibre? I think it should be, but I'd want to be sure before recommending it!

I would cut up an old tyre and secure it to the chainstay with a couple of zipties. Think of that - "Not only do I have a carbon bike, but I'm not too precious to ziptie bits of old tyre to it".

asterix

Comrade Member
I'd use white spirit. My only experience of this is on steel bikes but if carbon fibre or finish thereon can't take a bit of white spirit it ain't nails.

OP
OP
jiggerypokery

jiggerypokery

Über Member
I should have known better...and you will all pillory me for my foolishness....

The maker/supplier if the crappy carbon-looky-likey chainstay protector was...Halfrauds!

Having said that the cable rub patches are absolutely fine so I assume the radius of the chain stay is too tight and that the actual protective layer can't cope with the radius and has delaminated from the sticky stuff.

WD40 worked a treat!

Tynan

Veteran
you should leave it on as a lesson for the future

why stick tacky shoot onto something you like?

tsk

Top Bottom