Babies, where do they come from?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Gary Askwith said:
Gives stares and frowns at people he doesn't like-esp men in pubs with beards- they squirm uncomfortably

Hover Fly said:
Is this Chuffy you're describing?

Chuffy IS a man in a pub with a beard.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Arch said:
Most of you will know, I have a baby nephew, who I adore. I've never felt a burning need to become a mother myself, and increasing age and the lack of a partner, any financial security, or a home with more than two rooms in total make it look increasingly as though I never will be, something that I can cope with, but which makes me a little sad sometimes. Mostly when I hear of another imminent arrival among friends, as I have today.

However, in Boots with sis and nephew last week, I discovered that it's easier than I thought to get one!
If I could order one aged 21, that has just left home, is financially independent, well-rounded, attractive, intelligent and never, ever, ever expected me to wipe up their snot ;) then I might be interested.

As it is, I have a level of interest in babies slightly above zero...regardless of how many photos of nieces and nephews my Mother wafts at me.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I have a teenager living in this house. He sleeps most of the day, goes out late in the evening, never remembers to take his key. He returns whenever he pleases, demanding food at all hours of the day.;)

However, he is very short and is covered with fluffy white fur, and has a long white tail. :biggrin:

Pete

Arch said:
should have known it would set off a bit of bragging...:thumbsup:
not from this quarter, I should hope....

Arch, whatever journey you're starting out upon (with a single step), I hope you find what you're seeking. If you're seeking something. You deserve that. Further than that, or to be more specific, it would be impertinent of me to speculate...

Arch said:
Oh dear. This is a very silly time to get broody.
Maybe, but not something to get embarrassed about. Make it into a virtue.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Baggy said:
If I could order one aged 21, that has just left home, is financially independent, well-rounded, attractive, intelligent and never, ever, ever expected me to wipe up their snot :thumbsup: then I might be interested.

As it is, I have a level of interest in babies slightly above zero...regardless of how many photos of nieces and nephews my Mother wafts at me.

Baggy,

You have PM!
(joking!):sad:

Hope you and Chuffers enjoy Tom Lehrer.:smile:

wafflycat

babies...

I was told I couldn't have any by medical types, but Mr Wafflycat wasn't listening to them. What I thought was a bad case of trapped wind turned out to be our son.

I'm thoroughly glad I had him: I've loved motherhood. BUT, it's not for everyone. Unlike being a grandparent/auntie/uncle-type, you can't give them back at the end of the day or when they are being a PITA. I can say that being a mother has brought me great joy.

BUT

My working *career* has been reduced to nada in reality. For me, this is fine, as it was the choice of self & Mr Wafflycat and it's been a combination of full-time motherhood and running own business with me doing it part-time from home. It's worked for us, but it has limited what I've felt able to do and still be a decent mother to my son.

Every woman I've met who is *supposed* to 'have-it-all' in terms of career and kids, either is not being entirely truthful about the career and/or has little sh*ts for offspring and life is not as rosy as painted. Having offspring means compromise, compromise, compromise. You can't put what you want first, you have to put the requirements of the offspring first as they grow up. I'm now at the stage where my son is adult & left home (at university), so Mr Wafflycat & I have more time to ourselves and it's wonderful as it's different to having to always put the offspring first.

Whatever life throws your way, grab it with both hands and make the best of it - after all, we've only got one lifetime to do it in and that may or may not include having kids.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Well said Wafflycat, I agree on the comprimise - I ended up with a 10 year break, in which I lost all my confidence that anyone would want to employ me. Now I'm only part time, and this year I won't have to pay tax (so hardly a bit difference to our income), but I wanted to be at home for them.

One of my siblings works full time, and even took my niece into nursery two days after Christmas, cos she was paying for it anyway. Its not that she doesn't love her ... but she has suffered very badly from Post Natal Depression. Every time she is ill, she gets my mum to travel over 100 miles by bus to look after her.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Maverick Goose said:
Always make sure you have more bikes than you have kids:biggrin:

Enough of a reason to start looking after the next arrives.

Kids - 2 (& ½) ,
6yrs, 4yrs & minus 5 weeks

Bikes 3
MTB - GT Avalanche 2.0, 2006 (various upgrades)
Road/commuter - B'Twin Sport 2 double
Cruiser - Falcon Longbeach

Only thing is - money'll be too tight.

Pity, cos I'm sad enough to go have a look at the Kona Ute!!

Canrider

Guru
Awww.
I've a photo of my niece at about the same age as Oli is, sitting up properly, marvelously stable...until you notice she's got a death grip on the leg of her trousers to keep herself from toppling.

(further goofy-uncle comments deleted to prevent diabetic coma)

Pete

Maverick Goose said:
Always make sure you have more bikes than you have kids:biggrin:
Me too.
Bikes = 3; Kids = 1. For Mrs.: Bikes (in working order) = 2; Kids = 1.
Strictly speaking, I suppose, that should be Kids = ½ for each of us....

Top Bottom