Babies, where do they come from?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Pete said:
not from this quarter, I should hope....

Arch, whatever journey you're starting out upon (with a single step), I hope you find what you're seeking. If you're seeking something. You deserve that. Further than that, or to be more specific, it would be impertinent of me to speculate...

Maybe, but not something to get embarrassed about. Make it into a virtue.

Thank you Pete.

To digress, before I start to get too emotional, why isn't there a word for 'uncles/aunties' or 'neices/nephews'? You can have 'parents', 'grandparents', 'children', siblings', 'cousins' etc. But if I want to say I'm the only "parents' sibling" Oli has, I can say I'm his only aunt, which implies he might have an uncle, or I'm his only aunt/uncle, which is daft, because I'm clearly not an uncle. Before he was born and we knew he was a boy, I referred to him as a neicephew, which would cover that side of things, but want about the auntie/uncle bit?

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Amusing vid there Arch. I am in the process of filming our smallest one as she develops. She's just reached 5 months and is very unsteady when sitting (basically needs fully supporting!), but no doubt this'll change fairly rapidy - they do grow up so quickly!

Pete

Pity we're not speaking Spanish, seeing as, as a lot of you probably know, 'uncle' is 'tío' and 'aunt' is the same word with feminine ending i.e. 'tía', so, since masculine 'dominates' in plurals (sorry! :smile:) aunts and uncles considered collectively, are just 'los tíos'....

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Dayvo said:
In Sweden, your title would be 'moster' - mother's sister, or if it was your brother's child, you'd be 'faster' - father's sister. Boring, but true! :biggrin:
Isn't "moster" Northern Irish for "Mister"? :biggrin:

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Dayvo said:
In Sweden, your title would be 'moster' - mother's sister, or if it was your brother's child, you'd be 'faster' - father's sister. Boring, but true! :biggrin:

Ok, but so far it seems only Spanish has a way of saying aunts/uncles collectively (and that is by calling them all uncles). I want a word like 'siblings', that covers both sexes.

Canrider

Guru
Definite aunticle? Or indefinite?

(anthropology)In Hawaiian kinship terminology you'd be 'Mom'. Then again, I'd be 'Dad' and I've never even *met* your sister. :biggrin: (/anthropology)

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Canrider said:
Definite aunticle? Or indefinite?

(anthropology)In Hawaiian kinship terminology you'd be 'Mom'. Then again, I'd be 'Dad' and I've never even *met* your sister. :sad: (/anthropology)

:sad:

No, he looks nothing like you Canrider, no glasses and no accent....:smile:

Top Bottom