Back to school...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Can't remember when I last saw anything like that in the UK:sad:
You've obviously not been around me much then! Todays ride saw me encouraging younger son (6yr old) to ride down a flight of 5 or 6 steps while wife and older son stood by and told him not to do it! I stood at the bottom ready to try and catch him if it went wrong. He bottled out but I didn't mind either way, at least he had the chance to try, and in this H&S mad world I believe it is important, if not critical, to allow kids to test the boundaries and make up their own minds about risk, pain and accidents, with some experience to back up the decision :thumbsup:

400bhp

Guru
You've obviously not been around me much then! Todays ride saw me encouraging younger son (6yr old) to ride down a flight of 5 or 6 steps while wife and older son stood by and told him not to do it! I stood at the bottom ready to try and catch him if it went wrong. He bottled out but I didn't mind either way, at least he had the chance to try, and in this H&S mad world I believe it is important, if not critical, to allow kids to test the boundaries and make up their own minds about risk, pain and accidents, with some experience to back up the decision :thumbsup:

Hear hear :bravo:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My lad is now fully geared up school commuter. First day yesterday - the only bike there in a school of 700 kids. Massive bike shelter I believe.

Anyway, he's been pestering for a rack, so off we went to Decathlon and picked up one for 24" wheeled bikes. Fits a treat. He'll use the rack to carry his PE kit (twice a week), whilst daily stuff will be in his rucksack.

400bhp

Guru
My lad is now fully geared up school commuter. First day yesterday - the only bike there in a school of 700 kids. Massive bike shelter I believe.

Anyway, he's been pestering for a rack, so off we went to Decathlon and picked up one for 24" wheeled bikes. Fits a treat. He'll use the rack to carry his PE kit (twice a week), whilst daily stuff will be in his rucksack.

Brilliant - hopefully, given the way kids can be, he won't get picked on for being different. :thumbsup:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Hopefully he will encourage others to give it a go (by example), so that he isn't the only bike in the bike shed. Perhaps some didn't want to cycle on their first day - I hope 1 isn't the normal number there.

fossyant

There are usually more bikes - just think on the first day back and all - no-one cycles. Also the shelter has a smashed panel (big enough to get through as my son proved yesterday having left his bottle on the bike), so not totally secure, but that's being fixed.

Not got him 'panniers' yet as that would 'single' him out. Been looking for rucksack/panniers but they aren't cheap. We will see how the 'school book load' goes. So far the PE kit bag just pops on top of the rack, the rack has one of those springy clamps which holds the bag in place securely (it's also quick on/off so no messing) and his lunch and books are in his rucksack. The heavy d-lock stays at school, and he carries a Knog loop lock in his rucksack (for sweet shop stops).

He is loving the independance though !

I am quite new in cycling, but my first son (4.5yo) is starting school next week and I am very keen to do school run by bike. It is about 1.1 miles in suburban London, mainly on back roads or cycling path. I tried road bike+Bobike Maxi combination, but found it too wobbly. Later I got a mountain bike + Leco middle tube seat, I have yet to fix the seat on the bike, but I am seeing on Internet that many 4yo are expected to ride their own bike. My 4.5yo is not keen on cycling, and taking him on his own bike would take ages while I have limited time to make it to my work after dropping to his breakfast club. I will have 3 path gates (chicanes) on my route so tagalong or trailer would not fit. Maybe trailgator would work if I can hook/unhook quickly if necessary.
Do fellow cyclers think that taking 4.5yo on a bike is a stupid idea? This set up should be for a year or so, let's say it would be an introduction for my son. P.S. I am a strong 5'7'' woman and trust in my ability to manage!!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Not being that experienced at carrying kids on bikes - what size is your child? The average 4 year old might be pushing it for a lot of bike seats I would have thought?

Not being that experienced at carrying kids on bikes - what size is your child? The average 4 year old might be pushing it for a lot of bike seats I would have thought?

It would be but there is a Leco seat which is up to 6yo I believe.

fossyant

Tag a longs are excellent. They do fit through chicanes and width restrictions. Also done a bit of off road with ours. I suspect a four year old on the back of a bike is going to be pretty heavy

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

fussyant are you talking from your experience? Another obstacle for tagalong, apart from chicanes, is that I will be leaving son at school and colllection from a childminder, so I would have to tow tagalong with me to a train station and lock up there. Not very convenvient. I am hoping that trailgator would allow to leave son's bike at school. But he must be a confident cycler to ride it to childminder's house, and he is not, at the moment.
4yo on the back of the bike is hard but not impossible, but that is why I want to switch to top tube seat.

fossyant

Experience with a tagalong yes. Didn't realise you would be picking child up from a different location. Trailgaitor might be useful. All depends upon how willing the child minder is to wheel your son's bike back to their house.

No experience with seats other than when they are upto about 2 years old.

david1701

I tend to ride with a pannier on, then if I'm not carrying anything else I can drop my rucksack into it. Saves the faff of taking them off :biggrin: The area is a little different here though.

fossyant

My son's first week of commuting went OK. It's just over a mile each way. Slight mechanical Thursday night as he dropped the chain and it got stuck between the granny ring and frame - wheeled to the in-laws (just round the corner from school) and phoned home. Wife managed to free the chain, so all was done by the time I got home - tweaked the front mech to stop it happening again.

Panniers been used a few times now - OK. Hi-viz waterproof ruck sack cover bought rather than a hi-viz tabbard (son picked it when buying daughters new bike).

Bike shelter not terribly secure - broken panel, so resulted in a group of Year 10's kicking my sons bike - he didn't say anything as they were much bigger than him. Thank goodness this is not the 'good' bike.

Top Bottom