Back to school...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
The problem is the other kids fiddling with it at school, and despite picking it up cheap, it's still a very good bike compared to many.
Is this the MX24 the same as my older sons? It is an excellent bike. We haven't had any trouble leaving the bikes at junior school (yet) but I guess the kids at junior school aren't as spiteful and destructive as the older kids at secondary when they all start trying to act big'n'ard?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Is this the MX24 the same as my older sons? It is an excellent bike. We haven't had any trouble leaving the bikes at junior school (yet) but I guess the kids at junior school aren't as spiteful and destructive as the older kids at secondary when they all start trying to act big'n'ard?

It is, but my lad's is Matt Grey all over (probably 4-5 years old). It's been messed with at high school a few times. At Primary, we never had issues with him leaving the Carrera, but at High School the shed is tucked away out of sight of main buildings, and it's usually the older kids who mess (probably think it's funny). the shed is locked during the day, so it's before/just after school that stuff happens.

fossyant

Still getting ghost shifts with the revoshift, so just bobbed into decathlon for some grip shifts. Left my butler to look after the bike (the decathlon mechanics). Usual jokes that I only bring it out in the dry and sunshine :smile:

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Still getting ghost shifts with the revoshift, ............Usual jokes that I only bring it out in the dry and sunshine :smile:
They know you too well, LOL!

I assume you haven't overlooked cable condition so I suggest you check rear mech hanger alignment (I do mine with a 1mtr rule in the vertical and fore/aft plane) and also maybe a bare bones strip of the shifter? I know the best thing I did when tinkering with the gripshift version recently was a complete strip and clean then reassemble with vasaline as it isn't sticky and doesn't attack the plastics that 90% of these components seem to be made of.

fossyant

Stripp ed the Shimano shifter, think its been wrecked at school and its well used when we bought it.

The SRAMs are perfect shift, so lends to wear on the originals. The lad that had the bike did ride it loads, maintenance wasn't great, but I checked cables. Still it's a great bike.

OP
OP
U

User169

First collision of the term this week. Older daughter went round a corner a bit fast and ran into another cyclist. Couple of grazed knees, but nothing too dramatic, and the basket on the front is now even more squished. Bloke that got crashed into was very apologetic, although it clearly wasn't his fault.

fossyant

My son's commuter bike :-

bike2.JPG

fossyant

My lad is back into it again. Start of new year, cycled every day. Using bungee cords to secure his messenger bag to the rack - decided not to have the messenger bag on his bag as he's been racing another lad home :thumbsup:.

Had a few weeks off cycling last year due to the fact the cycle stand was unavailable - the school had used it for storage.

No mechanicals so far this year at all. Had some issues with the rear mech last year, but finally sorted it (kept dropping the chain between freewheel and frame).

Oh and the saddle has been raised about 2 inches since getting it !

Top Bottom