Back to school...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I managed to cycle my two to school on Friday and Monday, about 2.5 miles each way but we gave it a miss this morning because it was chucking it down (kids were still begging to cycle though :thumbsup:). Back in work tonight so no more chances for them to cycle this week :sad:.

Quite a few have been turning up on bikes so far this school year, perhaps 4 or 5 a day which is more than the usual 2 or 3 a week but most do not bother with locks!!! OK they are only BSO's and they are inside the schools fenced compound but it isn't 100% secure and there are lots of people milling about at the start and end of the day when the gates are open.
BSO or not you would think the kids and their parents would want to keep and protect 'their' bike?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Bike shelter not terribly secure - broken panel, so resulted in a group of Year 10's kicking my sons bike - he didn't say anything as they were much bigger than him. Thank goodness this is not the 'good' bike.
Get him into the habit of doing a quick check of the bike before setting off, and stopping if he hears a strange noise - he'll soon get used to the normal sound of his bike. My son's bike was only tampered with once in primary school, and also had a couple of mechanicals - each time though he didn't necessarily know what was wrong, he knew it wasn't right and stopped for us to investigate.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've told him to let me know if there are any funny noises - he didn't tell me that the rear gear was slightly out of trim until after the chain drop.

Still only him on his bike :ohmy: Only one other one day last week. What a lazy bunch of high school kids.

fossyant

Well he still didn't tell me about funny noises. I noticed the drive chain was clunking as you pedalled - cause knackered 1 month old freewheel - the bearings have gone loose and you can wobble the body. Back to Decathlon for a new one as it's done less than 20 miles. Still useable though

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Is the lockring on the face of the freewheel tight? I was showing my youngest son how the inside of a freewheel works last night. He was fascinated by the dozens of tiny bearings and how the pawls ratchet on the inside of the freewheel body. There's not really a lot to wear out unless it is made of cheese!
The shimano one I stripped last night (I took it apart so I could grip the core and remove it without the appropriate tool) was good as new inside after about 5 years and lots of mud and some washing/hosing, still contained fresh, clean grease and shiny balls :rolleyes:

Buzzinonbikes

See quite a few little bike troops around here (South Manchester). Really good to see. Most take it nice and steady on the pavement for the stretches I see them on for which I don't blame them to be honest. The amount of crap drivers around here that I deal with there is no way I would take my (as yet unborn) kids on the roads. What does concern me though are all the children who ride a scooter to school while their who walk inevitably have to chase them down the road before they blast into oncoming traffic.

fossyant

Son's commute going well - he's letting me know about any little noises - rear mech keeps dropping indexing slightly - will keep an eye on it, but it could be being fiddled with during school. His form teacher is allowing him to keep his helmet in class - can't leave them on the bikes due to other kids messing with things. The newly installed pop-bottle mudflap is working - he tested it last night tearing round the field in mud - the bike came back clogged. Quick hose off to clear the gears. Needed re-lubing this morning (rust on chain)!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Mine's having his Level 3 training at the moment - though he can leave his helmet in his locker which is better than dragging it around the school all day.

Jodee1kenobi

My lad is now fully geared up school commuter. First day yesterday - the only bike there in a school of 700 kids. Massive bike shelter I believe.

Anyway, he's been pestering for a rack, so off we went to Decathlon and picked up one for 24" wheeled bikes. Fits a treat. He'll use the rack to carry his PE kit (twice a week), whilst daily stuff will be in his rucksack.

When my daughter started high school last year I gave her the choice of walking or cycling. She now has her 'commuter' bike inc. rack. It's quite something to see her carry a rucksack and PE kit bag and get up the rather good :whistle: hill we live at the top of!
She even put on overshoes this week and walked into school wearing them! Her friend asked if she was wearing flippers :huh:

subaqua

What’s the point
youngest subaqua kid rides his bike to school while his mum walks the half mile. he loves it. sadly wifey is back to work properly next week so its only going to be a thursday and a friday. but maybe he can conmvince her to ride her bike to school

fossyant

Commute going OK for No1 son. Some more kids are now cycling, not many. He's ditched the idea of wanting slicks as he has to ride down a muddy track to get into school, so the MTB tyres are ideal. The bike is, however, covered in mud every day.

Spoke reflectors from Aldi fitted.

Surgery was needed last night though, checked his gears over after clearing grass and crud from the sprockets, and it was changing up one or two gears at a time, not getting the biggest sprocket, then dropping two. Totally messed up.

Traced fault to the Revoshift levers - looks like someone had been 'forcing' them round - probably at school when un-attended. Pulled to bits, struggled to get it back together with the cable in place. Said son would have to get lift from mum. Anyway, mum and son not too happy as he had an after school drama class, so out I went again inth the bike den.

Removed cable, and carefully aligned the various internal parts. Checked it was clicking in gear smoothly, replaced with new cable, re-assembled, and it's working fine again. Phew.

Bike on road !

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
The revoshift set up don't seem very durable. I have had to tweak the left hand one on my older sons bike after only 6 months it started to give dicky shifts. The old gripshift one on his previous bike is still going strong after years of trouble free service, only needing some attention recently when I was trying to make it easier to twist for younger son who doesn't have such a strong grip.

Rode to school with my two again today and hopefully tomorrow as well ^_^

fossyant

Thinking of getting SRAM X3 triggers at some point ! Will have to sneak the upgrade past the missus. Son is using X4 on his other bike. The problem is the other kids fiddling with it at school, and despite picking it up cheap, it's still a very good bike compared to many (just don't tell the wife).

Top Bottom