Bad experience with Evans (via Amazon)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alvintc

Veteran
Morning all,

Thought I'd give you a brief overview of my experience with Evans Cycles (I'll start with I use Evans quite a lot in store but in this case I had an Amazon voucher to use).

I bought a pair of Gore Active wear trousers. Wore them on a single ride and there was zero waterproofing (literally nothing, no beading etc.) the rain went straight through & then happily ran down my legs into my waterproof boots...

Naturally at £83 - not something I was willing to through in the cupboard so requested a refund. The responses I had from Evans included:

"We have received these trousers back to our Returns Department. Unfortunately we cannot refund these as they have been worn and washed."
"An item, except food, videos, DVD’s, face masks, RIDEIT events and software can be returned to us for any reason within 90 days, provided it has not been used or fitted, and is returned in its original packaging with a valid proof of purchase."
"I have checked the product to see if it states that it is Waterproof, and it does not state the wording that the product is Waterproof but that the pants offer reliable protection from rain and wind in changing weather conditions."

I eventually had to bring Amazon into it & go down the Consumer Rights act before they (grudgingly) gave me my refund. I'm still £8 out of pocket for return postage but that pales in comparison to the time & effort arguing with them that the trousers should've worked!

Moral of the story:
1. Evans returns is staffed by idiots
2. Don't wear an item outside if you have any intention of returning
(Normally I get this.... but with a waterproof item, how do you find out if it's waterproof?!)

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
That business about not wearing it etc, is only for things that you've returned because you've changed your mind.
Goods sold have to be fit for purpose.
As you say, Evans returns staffed by either idiots, or people paid to lie to customers...

Last edited:

pclay

Veteran
What trousers did you get? This might be a case of person buys non waterproof trousers, and then complains that they are not waterproof.

BurningLegs

Veteran
That's a shame - I have always had a good experience with Evans, but have never actually returned anything. I would understand their response if you returned the items because you had changed your mind, but in this case you were returning because you didn't feel that the product was up to standard - totally different!

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
What trousers did you get? This might be a case of person buys non waterproof trousers, and then complains that they are not waterproof.

A product description (as quoted by Evans in the OP) that the trousers offer 'reliable protection from rain' should be at least shower proof!

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer

I wondered the same, so I looked it up. Presume it's these ones:
http://www.goreapparel.co.uk/gore-b...geartype-bibs&start=6&dwvar_TGELEM_color=9908

The description clearly states 'durably waterproof and windproof', though it doesn't specify the standard of waterproofing (eg 10k, 10,000mm etc), which would make me suspicious when buying.

Last edited:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
This, taken from the Mountain Warehouse website, is the kind of information I would be looking for when buying a garment that claims to be 'waterproof' - the figures are based on independent testing to well defined standards:

Screen Shot 2017-09-19 at 09.45.41.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-19 at 09.51.33.png

Also note that even if the fabric is waterproof, the finished garment won't be waterproof if the seams aren't taped.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

alvintc

Veteran
It was a pair of these.

From the description:
Amazon said:
Wearable year round, Waterproof fabric, extremely breathable and windproof due to GORE-TEX Active Technology, Stay dry no matter what the weather brings, Impenetrable to rain and sweat evaporates

Personally I've had great experiences in store (I'm around the corner from the Gatwick warehouse), but in this case the voucher should've made sense...

Sixmile

Veteran
Get a bit of the garmet and run it under the tap, if its waterproof it should run straight off, thats what I do with all my walking jackets after I've reproofed them.

Out of interest, what product do you use for this?

Drago

Legendary Member
I had a similar saga with Wiggle, about a bike I'd bought that wasn't the spec advertised. In the end I got so fed up with it that I told them to come and take it away and I'd do a chargeback on my credit card.

They suddenly relented and sent be the components needed to upgrade it to the advertised spec.

Why do large retailers argue and bicker and risk their reputation when they are clearly responsible?

Last edited:
Top Bottom