Bafang Mid-Drive Installation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simon.r

Person
I’ve already got the bike and the postman’s delivered everything else I need (I think). Let’s see how it goes.

I’m not planning to post a blow by blow account, but I’ll update this thread with the major points (don’t hold your breath, I’m in no rush to get it finished).

OP
OP
simon.r

simon.r

Person
Step 1 - remove BB, cranks etc.

OP
OP
simon.r

simon.r

Person
3 - Fit the speed sensor. I’m going to have to move this somehow, as the cable is too close to the tyre.

I want to get it up and running to prove the concept, then I’ll spend some time tidying everything up and tweaking the fitting.

Also worth mentioning that I’m going for a fully UK road legal system - 250W, motor cutting out at 15.5 mph, pedal assist only (no throttle) and motor cutting out when the brakes are applied.

OP
OP
simon.r

simon.r

Person
4 - Fit the display and and control pad.

Bafang make numerous different display units. My preference would have been for a more discrete unit (the SW102), but for various reasons I’ve ended up with this one (C965).

OP
OP
simon.r

simon.r

Person
5 - Install chainring. The motor means the chainring is much further out, so the chain line is horrible. May try reversing the chainring at some point, but as mentioned before, I want to get up and running, then I’ll start tweaking.

Edit - the chainring is fitted incorrectly. See later post.

Last edited:
OP
OP
simon.r

simon.r

Person
6 - Cranks fitted and new chain. The supplied chainring is 46t - with a 36t largest sprocket I needed the full length of the new chain. This bike was fitted with a 36t chainring, so this is going to be a large jump in gearing. Time will tell if the motor makes up for the higher gearing...

There is a plastic chainguard supplied with the kit, which I’ve not fitted at this stage, pending tweaking the chainline (and possible gearing changes).

(Yes, I will make sure that cable’s moved before riding it!)

Last edited:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
6 - Cranks fitted and new chain. The supplied chainring is 46t - with a 36t largest sprocket I needed the full length of the new chain. This bike was fitted with a 36t chainring, so this is going to be a large jump in gearing. Time will tell if the motor makes up for the higher gearing...There is a plastic chainguard supplied with the kit, which I’ve not fitted at this stage, pending tweaking the chainline (and possible gearing changes).

View attachment 513026

(Yes, I will make sure that cable’s moved before riding it!)
Why not put the sensor on the non drive side, which will remove some cable slack and move it from the chain and chainring

OP
OP
simon.r

simon.r

Person
7 - Fit the battery. The base plate doesn’t line up with the bottle cage bosses, due, I guess, to the non-standard bike I’m fitting it to. One bolt will hold it securely enough for a test run up and down the road, then another problem to sit and think about!

OP
OP
simon.r

simon.r

Person
8 - Connect the battery. I don’t have anything to hand to fit what the motor is supplied with. I have some ‘quick release’ connectors on order, so, with apologies to any electricians reading I’ve done a temporary job.

shingwell

Top Bottom