Bank holiday weekend?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Cheers folk, great to see you all and thanks to Martin, as usual, for superb organisation. I was lazing in a bath by 6pm after 70 miles, that was enough for me. Where Peter and I split off from you is about 3 miles into my commute home so it was a very familiar 17 miles to go. Not having done it on the Giant in its' stripped, and skinny tyred, incarnation, I experimented a bit. The ups were easier and faster, the flats I got a higher speed for similar efforts. Downhill though the commuter bike goes faster with less effort. I needed to go to the big ring, for the first time ever, to try and match my commuters downhill speed.

Enough of that what about DavyWalnuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Priceless incarnate!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Turns up - hats off to him for that one we weren't sure:biggrin: - 3 breakfasts and some sweets later and he's fueled for a 300 miles ride - shame he was only planning about a third of that distance - then carries enough extra fuel for LeJog and back!!!!!!!!! Couple this with a minimal spoke, super lightweight, rear wheel and something's got to give.

What can I say Davy it's pure entertainmaint, but what a trooper as well. Goes off to get train, with his poorly rear wheel, and then returns to ride having put on spare. That was top notch and definitely didn't figure in my betting options:biggrin:

That was top notch

Yes - agreed. Big effort by the walking, talking Waitrose.
You did miss the postscript Al, which inolved a two-up 34kph return towards Staines. Davy started rubbing his tummy and pulling faces (well, a different expression anyway). I asked if he was ok - he replied 'Stomach..urgh...need the toilet..!'
Upped the rate to 42kph and got in front - just in case!

This man can eat a dozen sausage sandwiches with white bread - in one sitting.

redjedi

Über Member
Aperitif said:

Yes - agreed. Big effort by the walking, talking Waitrose.
You did miss the postscript Al, which inolved a two-up 34kph return towards Staines. Davy started rubbing his tummy and pulling faces (well, a different expression anyway). I asked if he was ok - he replied 'Stomach..urgh...need the toilet..!'
Upped the rate to 42kph and got in front - just in case!

This man can eat a dozen sausage sandwiches with white bread - in one sitting.

I'm glad I didn't come back with you two now. I would not have been able to keep that pace up all the way to Feltham.

handbag

what a lovely day to mark the end of the summer 2009! thank you Aperitif and thank you all the rest of the gang. did just less than 90 miles and my knees are screeeeeaming today but the last few miles in/around Windsor great park was an absolute high light of the day. the colour of polo fields ( green, green, green!! ), the giant rhubarb leaves, panoramic view from the top of The Long Walk... and a glass of shandy with friends to end the perfect day... can't ask for more. let's do another one soon, thanks again folks :ohmy:

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
alinaee said:
how on earth did you know that?? were you following us?? or do you have some savvy spy cam???

And you were sooo good too stopping at red-lights all day long keeping up the good cyclist image an all... :ohmy:

And did you not notice TC following you all day... must have been using your draft...

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Thanks MacB! Nice write up there! And yes, where were the odds on that one!! lol!

Well, what an excellant day out! Well organised, minus the odd garmin gremlin, but hey, if it worked 100%, we would have nothing to take the piss out off but me!! But yes, well done Aperitif, very good work and planning all around and great scenery, well, once in the Sticks! And all from the a idea from TC! Bravo! Really shows the bonding and fondness for cycling we all have!

This was a very good effort by one and all with very high mileages accross the board! I ended up on 127miles for the day, with an average of 15.7mph, what I have doubted, but then works out about right given the sprints into and out of london and from Staines to somewhere in Berkshire with the replaced rear wheel!

My day started on the bike just gone 7am, and even though I had moved house the day before and only got to bed a few hours previously, I could not let the team down! I was revved up and ready to go! And of course, with Mikee leaving so bloody early and looking forward to a chin wag with everyone, new sights and sounds and MacB having odds on me not turning up, I HAD to get out of bed! One big faux pas in doing the stupid thing of not stocking up the new cupboards with food so I was burning negative calories for the first 20 miles, hence alllll the food I comsumed! I aint that greedy! ;-)

So onwards to London to pick up the posse with Aperitif then back pass my new house and old house to Windsor... I led for a bit but was concerned about going tooooo fast, so sorry if I did! Poor Alinees legs where a blur! hehe! Once in Windsor with the rest of the peleton and fully stocked up from a rather nice waitrose, off we went! Until that spoke went ping! I think It might have been the apple I had that took it over its weights limit! Shame as the ride was settling down nicely! Oh well, I did miss those hills!! With the help of Ape's utility belt, said spoke affixed to another and then off for a 6mile jaunt to LBS in Sluff and then Train to my office in Staines to swap rear wheels and back off again in super sonic speed to a roughly estimated town somewhere in Berks to meet up with the travelling pack! Turns out we was under a mile apart, good guess work there and thanks for diverting slightly for me!

Onwards and upwards back to Windsor releasing a few Mouseketeers before going around Windsor Park, minus some **** trying to wipe a few of us out! I've never been all the way around Windsor Park before but what a treat and an awesome finish(ish) to the day out! At this point, my body then decieded to give up so instead of a beer, my office (for clearing up my mess from earlier) and bed was calling me! So cheerio to the rest of the clan and off Ape and me went! And in record speed too as I was, well, suddenly struck down with illness (refer to the above posting! hehehe!) Finally home about 10pm picking up a chicken tikka nan wrap (good bye local kabbaby, hello local curry house) and was welcomed home by my new house mate who said, "wow, youve been cycling all day? Glass of red?" and hence forth, goodbye bottle and wrap!

I had a good chat with a few peeps but didnt have to chance to chat to some more, so I am sorry! But what a day, what a weekend, awesome times, awesome people! Thanks!

Roll on Whitstable!

Oh, MacB, I've come out of the dark side, am now logging cyclogs under CC, finally!

OP
OP
topcat1

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
Introducing the "monday mouseketeers"
230ky0.jpg

from the left
mistral,dj,handbag,alina,aperitif,redjedi,macB,sig,des,c o g,peter mike

it's going to take ages to load the photos (100+)
i'll link to them when they're ready

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
topcat1 said:
Introducing the "monday mouseketeers"
230ky0.jpg

from the left
mistral,dj,handbag,alina,aperitif,redjedi,macB,sig,des,c o g,peter mike

it's going to take ages to load the photos (100+)
i'll link to them when they're ready

Great photo, but am missing! So are you! Was it meant to be so well cycle top colour coordinated?;)

redjedi

Über Member
There was a second photo, taken by MacB, which had TC1 in it, but he had to hold onto MacB's bike complete with butterfly bars :blush:

I believe that photo was instantly destroyed, we were also sworn to secrecy never to tell anyone :biggrin:

Don't think you should mention about topcat caressing MacB's butterfly bars Luke - most unkind! :biggrin:

On the subject of butterflies, another segway was interfered with by Cassius 'float like a butterfly bar, sting like a bee wasp' Clay* staying at Cliveden. Apparently 'security' had secured the property for his stay. :sad:

* Of course, Muhammad Ali - on his fund raising tour.

And the bee / wasp addition is because Sig got stung. 'Ouch' she said as the wasp drilled her lip.
And then she carried on. Tough stuff our Sig. Good to ride with and tuff stuff. :blush:

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
redjedi said:
There was a second photo, taken by MacB, which had TC1 in it, but he had to hold onto MacB's bike complete with butterfly bars :blush:

I believe that photo was instantly destroyed, we were also sworn to secrecy never to tell anyone :biggrin:

Well, am glad that the secret is safe with us! :sad:

hahaha, I've just noticed Alina's on tip-toes! Not wise to be so short and pose next to Aperitif!

OP
OP
topcat1

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
Feeling left out Davy?
whcxh4.jpg

Here they are
http://tinypic.com/a/19sg5/3

Oh yeah more memories:smile:
crossing a bridge in windsor and spot a big wheel, cogs nice new bike, passing through egypt.

Dorney wood photo call, Katz meeting Peter and asking for his user name, stopping for lunch at the Jolly Farmer, the raffle, the prizes:smile:.

The sun coming out after lunch, not meeting Ali , getting out of London for the day, Davys return, some idiot turning left and stopping causing a 4 bike pile up.

The return on the A30 with cars passing too close, it's always fun riding home, the Albert bridge at night.

Thanks guys and gals for a very good day, Martin well done, Mike dj mac sig katz alina Des Peter cog Luke Davy and Mistral guys that's how to spend a bank holiday.
:ohmy: tc1

redjedi

Über Member
2z74v14.jpg

Ahhh... there it is!

TC1 trying out MacB's butterflys for size

I'm sure he said "These would look good on the Litespeed!" as he stared in disgust at the drops on his Merlin :ohmy:

Top Bottom