Bar End Plugs - Road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
Ok, so those of you that frequent Commuting will know that I had a bit of a tipple on some ice a couple of days ago.
Bike back from LBS.

I'm gonna superglue the shifter back together. It is cosmetic damage, but the top has basically snapped off.

I also lost the end plug. Now I like my things as perfect as possible so a missing bar end plug is really going to annoy me. I have drop handlebars, can I just buy any old bar eng plug or are there specific ones for road and MTB etc. I have (or should I say had) silver bar end plugs. I'd be keen on getting the same again but can't really find any. Closest I can find on Wiggle / CRC are carbon coloured ones;

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Bike_Ribbon_Carbon_Look_End_Plugs/5360012502/

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/MPart_Carbon_Fibre_Road_Bar_End_Plugs/5360013382/

I have found these ones on ebay;
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=160306768132

Would they do?

The bar tape is ripped too, but not too bad, I thought I could just cover it with a bit of insulating tape for now as a quick fix.

You can get them with a flashing red led in the middle too. :biggrin:

bonj2

the ebay ones look exactly like the ones i've got on one of my road bikes, if you want silver.

I think ones intended for mtb would fit, but not sure, someone else may confirm or deny.

you do get new ones when you buy bar tape though so you could just buy some new bar tape.

Danny

Legendary Member
I find that modern bar end plugs pop out ever so easily. What ever happened to old fashioned bar end plugs that had a screw in the middle you could use to tighten them up.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Dannyg said:
I find that modern bar end plugs pop out ever so easily. What ever happened to old fashioned bar end plugs that had a screw in the middle you could use to tighten them up.
I've got some of them on my singlespeed bike - they are really good. I can't tell you where to buy them though - mine came off a 30 year old Colnago.

While we are on the subject of bar end plugs... Don't be tempted to do without them - the ends of the bars can take nasty core samples from your body in a crash! Gory example here :biggrin:!

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
How do you know what colour you get with the bar tape though? I've had a quick look and most of them don't say. Not that I'm fussy or anything!

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
ColinJ said:
I've got some of them on my singlespeed bike - they are really good. I can't tell you where to buy them though - mine came off a 30 year old Colnago.

While we are on the subject of bar end plugs... Don't be tempted to do without them - the ends of the bars can take nasty core samples from your body in a crash! Gory example here :biggrin:!

Eeeeew, made a right mess too, poor lad.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Plax said:
How do you know what colour you get with the bar tape though? I've had a quick look and most of them don't say. Not that I'm fussy or anything!
Generally either silver or black.

bonj2

Plax said:

go to LBS and have a look

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
fossyant said:
Cinelli cork ribbon..nothing else it's the best, with end caps...

I won't use anything else !

I've had a look, I just want plain black cork bar tape. No embossed logos. I did see the Cinelli but wasn't sure if it has an embossed logo?

Dave5N said:
I've got loads - let me know if you want one.

Do you mean end caps? Thanks for the offer - I ordered some before I saw your post though :ohmy:. Anyways I have got some silver ones that look similar to my old ones.

Superglue arrived last night so I glued the top of the shifter and face plate thing back on. Might cover the odd tear in the bar tape with some black insulating tape stuff so it doesn't get any worse and that's about as much as I can do to cover the battle wounds up without having to fork out a fortune for new shifters.

I missed you coming off Plax (that doesn't sound right :o), hope you're OK. Bar end plugs and Dawes = fall out easily. Both mine fell out and have been replaced by black ones from the LBS. 50p each I think. Don't they sell superglue in the co-op :biggrin:

Top Bottom